• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3rd gear grind

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Today when playing in the snow, I spun threw first and second and when i shifted into 3rd at redline, it grinded but still went in. It did this twice in a row. It never grinds going into 3rd at redline when on normal dry street. Why would this be? The trans was rebuilt less than 20k ago but I'm guessing not using the updated 3rd gear synchro, the previous owner had it rebuilt and he gave me the reciept too.

What all was replaced during the rebuild? Most of the time they only replace what they need to. I would bet that 3rd gear would have been part of the reason they rebuilt the trans so I will assume it has been replaced. With that being said, when you are spinning your tires and flying through the gears, such as in the snow like you say, the mtx can slip into gear too fast and the syncro may not have been able to mesh quick enough so you here a slight grind. It is more likely to happen with a short shifter (not sure if you have one). It could also have something to do with your shift cable adjustment or wearing shift cable end bushings. All of these things could contribute to a slight grind but if you are fine on dry roads under normal tire acceleration without slipping like that then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just try not to do that anymore and your syncro should be fine.

So what was replaced when the trans was rebuilt? and what was the original reason the trans was cracked open? Do you have a short shifter?

stock shifter....the trans was rebuilt because it was grinding downshifting into 3rd gear. That's all I know, the reciept is hard to read and I have it burried somewhere. I'm not exactly sure what they replaced, but I do know they installed a torsion diff:laugh:

Just drove it again, didn't beat on it, and it grinded into 3rd shifting at moderate rpms(3-4k) if you shifted it ANY faster than normal driving. It did it every single time. If you shift pretty slow, it won't grind, but it is more hesitant to go into 3rd than any other gears. Guess I'm in for a big repair soon, either that or I'm going to dump it cheap.

Mine is grinding too, Now I let the rpms drop and ease it in, then it doesnt do it. Im going to try to keep it in there as long as i can.

Try to get a 3rd syncro quote from around town to see what your looking at to have it fixed.

I am the 2nd owner of a TH trans that was on a mostly stock 2.5 before my ride and I still dont feel 100% comfortable throwing the shifter around. I enjoy my car but really do not want to sink another G on a trans.

Do you still have access to that shop that you did last summer?

You drive it hard, you pay the price. Just like anything. No transmission is meant to be punished day after day. The revised Focus style 3rd gear sync. won't hold up at all.

Try to get a 3rd syncro quote from around town to see what your looking at to have it fixed.

I am the 2nd owner of a TH trans that was on a mostly stock 2.5 before my ride and I still dont feel 100% comfortable throwing the shifter around. I enjoy my car but really do not want to sink another G on a trans.

Do you still have access to that shop that you did last summer?

I don't have access to that shop, that was my highschool's, graduated from there. I could probably use it for a bit, but I wouldn't leave my car there overnight will all the kids running around there in the day. Also, I wouldn't want to have just 3rd fixed, I'd want the whole thing redone if I was going to go threw the job of removing it.

Todra's - I haven't even taken it over 3k in two weeks, that's why I never realized the 3rd gear synchro was bad, because I was babying it trying to save gas.

when i had the tranny rebuilt everything was replace every bearing every syncro , they were using a aftermarket 3rd gear syncro and it grinded into third on downshifts..... they replaced the syncro twice and finnally they used a ford oem one, and it worked perfect. and the reason for it being replaced in the first place was a blown diff.

Just an FYI, my 3rd gear has been grinding for almost 18 months now. If you are not hard on the tranny, it will last you as long as you want it to with the grind. I am finally taking the car off the road this winter to drop out the trans and replace the synchros and shift forks, and a new clutch too. I will probably be dropping in a torsion LSD as well. I waited this long because of the $$ involved. But I am tired of not being able to do track days at Summit Point or IR. Just my $0.02.

Tony

Back