• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

starting in teh cold

RedStarMN

CEG'er
2000 2.5 Se....I start it up and it starts fine, but have to keep idling it for a while or it dies when cold. ( auto tran). guy I got it from said he ran sea foam evry once in a while to make sure the fuel injectors stayed clean, but I wondring if they may need to be replaced ? Or is it something else. I am asking as its freezing cold and I have no place at my own place to work on it, so want to get a good idea what to look for before I do anything so as to not be wasting time. thanks for any help.

2000 2.5 Se....I start it up and it starts fine, but have to keep idling it for a while or it dies when cold. ( auto tran). guy I got it from said he ran sea foam evry once in a while to make sure the fuel injectors stayed clean, but I wondring if they may need to be replaced ? Or is it something else. I am asking as its freezing cold and I have no place at my own place to work on it, so want to get a good idea what to look for before I do anything so as to not be wasting time. thanks for any help.

If it were just stalling out intermittently, I might suggest a faulty crank position sensor, but since it won't stay running without your foot on the gas, I'm inclined to think that your idle air control (IAC) is the culprit. If you remove it and give it a shot of Berryman's to get rid of any moisture or binding that may be present in it, you'll know quickly and cheaply if you've found your glitch. :cool:

thanks I will have to try to take a look at that, im hoping cheap as I just today got job again after I lost my job at Ford( followed a week later by tranny death on the 98 lol)

Put a bottle of HEET in the gas tank. That usually helps with getting rid of the moisture.

If you are going through all the trouble of removing the IAC I would just replace it with a new unit, although they are a bit pricey at around $100 or so. I would also check for vacuum leaks.

If you are going through all the trouble of removing the IAC I would just replace it with a new unit, although they are a bit pricey at around $100 or so. I would also check for vacuum leaks.

Not really you can get them for about $60 at fordpartsonline.com http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...1&make=10&model=Contour&year=2000&catalogid=1

Or when I got mine from Steve at Tousley (which would be of interest to the OP if he's from MN) for more closer to $50. They're not all that unreasonable. Remember to get a new gasket if you go this route, they're about $1 from Ford.

If I do have to do that, i will have to check with Steve then. Im closer to the inver grove one, but lets just say I have issues with my former workplace lol. That or run out to Stillwater.

Removing the IAC is no big deal -- it's two bolts. You can even reuse the gasket, just be careful not to bugger it. If you can effect the same response with a little Berryman's that you could by replacing the unit, I'd save the money and go with the Berryman's. :cool:

Back