• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

To those that have blown up a differential...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I've been thinking about this and i'm somewhat curious as to what common reasons why the differential goes in the mtx-75. I know that the earlier (pre98) cars have a stronger differential and supposedly the 00's had the weakest differential.

So, I was thinking it may be helpful for us to have people that have blown up their differential (or bought a used car with a bad diff) tell us what THEY BELIEVE caused the differential to fail. Be it drag racing, dropping the clutch, whatever. Also maybe list some information about the car, miles, year, etc.

I thought it might be helpful to know... So, those who have blown your differential, let's hear the story...

It's not generally the one instantaneous act that dooms the diff. The spider gears are not very durable, and are worse in certain years than others. The high contact stress on the teeth faces of the gears leads to them spalling out, and eventually breaking. The harder you drive the car, the more quickly they will get to the point of breaking the spider gears.

2000 SVT 3L swap -
Had the car less then one month with the 3L and did lots of wheel hopping. Did most of the damage when the roads were wet. Spiders broke apart taking a max right turn in a parking ramp at low speeds. Torsen went in - multiple redline drops into first without even worrying about it.

My diff was replaced at 93k with a Torsen, but only for the 3L swap. The original was still in perfect shape when it came out. I beat the poop out of it and it showed no damage. :shrug:

Count them 3!!!

Blown up diffs...

2000 SVT tropic green
BONE STOCK!!

Clutch dump on first one
don't know on the second
Clutch dump on the thrid

Switch to a HMS trans with quaife, 2 years ago
now 2 broken axles...

Perhaps I should stop beating on it but why.

Count them 3!!!

Blown up diffs...

2000 SVT tropic green
BONE STOCK!!

Clutch dump on first one
don't know on the second
Clutch dump on the thrid

Switch to a HMS trans with quaife, 2 years ago
now 2 broken axles...

Perhaps I should stop beating on it but why.

what size and kind of tires are you running?

God damn I do that all the time. Thought I was safe by not launching!

Why is this car so fragile :cry:
It's not fragile in reasonable driving. If anyone plans on racing these cars (which they weren't built for) the obvious thing to do is beef the MTX up. :idea:
Karl

Back