• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cars stalls when i hit bumps?!?!

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
hi gang, i hope you guys can help.
i have a 98 MTX 2.5l w/ 112k miles.
i think there is a electrical short in the dash. the speedo will sometimes drop to 0 while i'm driving. also, sometimes if i hit a bump, the car shuts off which is a bit scary being that its a stick and bucks hard!!
there are also times when i go to start the car and nothing happens, no lights, no fuel pump sound, no nothing but if i hit the keyless entry the interior lights come on as usual.
could a bad instrument cluster cause this.
pls help, i need this car to get to work, plus, i LOVE this car.
thanks in advance!

Check the speed sensor (probably on the transmission) and its connection that feeds the speedometer, on the automatic trans it is called the VSS vehicle speed sensor, it is important for the car's computer, it does a lot more than just the speedometer.

Good luck

Mike

... VSS vehicle speed sensor, it is important for the car's computer, it does a lot more than just the speedometer.

Good luck

Mike
Correct, but in this case, it appears that BrApple and my_black99svt are closer to solution. Most times, an issue with the VSS will not stall out the car.

thanks guys, but i know its not the speed sensor.
also, there is a new battery (3 months old) and new cable ends for good connection and as I mentioned before, there is power because the keyless entry still triggers the interior lights, BUT, when i turn the key, nothing.
Also when i hit a bump, a temp "blackout" (1-2 seconds).
As I looked closer yesterday, i noted 4 wires coming out of a harness (not main) and they connect to the battery (pos.). I think there may be were the problem lays. someone did some type of reconnection (kinda shabby job) and I bet if I rewire it, I may have luck. Not really sure where that harness leads to though. hmmmmmm.:shrug:

Wiggle test

Wiggle test

Good place to begin. Try wire "wiggle test" while engine idling, see if you can make it stall.

Yes those wire to my positive battery terminal were starting to crack, I saved them by liberally applying Goop to them before anything broke or shorted, which I've done to other wires as well.

Mike

**UPDATE**
first, thank all of you for your responses!!

well, I see the harness connects to the fuse box and my connections into the battery were loose...........problem solved.......right?
Well for the most part. The car does not stall anymore:laugh: but now the speedo does not go below 25mph even standing still and the radio gets no power:blackeye: .
I didn't change anything so I have no clue whats going on.
Any ideas?

Speedometer could be, I guess, IS a separate problem.

Radio wiring might have been disturbed by messing with fuse box?

It is really weird/difficult when two or more problems occur at once.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Well, I banged on the dash................i got radio!:laugh:
speedo is still messed up. :nonono:
i may just go to the junkyard and grab another one.

Thanks again.

Try disconnecting the whole cluster and see if the needle stays up. Although unlikly, it is possible it is a physical obstruction keeping the needle at 25.

Gotta love the 'punch the dash' solution. I had a 93 taurus back in the day and I had to punch the steering wheel to get the headlights to come on sometimes as well as make the wipers work. LOL.

Back