• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX-75 Transmission Issue.

JSmyth

New CEG'er
Hello everyone,

I am looking into possible purchasing a 1999 Mercury Cougar with a transmission problem for me to fix and use.

The problem as they describe it is that a "bolt" has come undone in the transmission and they can no longer get it to shift through the gears. The car starts with the clutch to the floor but when you move the shifter nothing happens. The car is stuck in second gear.

Call me stupid but it sounds as though the shift cable is busto.

What should I look for to pinpoint the issue?

Thanks guys.
-James Smyth

Shift tower bolt has sheared. Either you can get lucky and pull the tower to fish the head out or pull the trans.

best case is the shift tower bolt is broke. Do a search - very common issue.

Worst case - The tranny is shot, and you will need a new tranny. Look at some of my older posts about my tranny.

On a scale of 1-10 how hard will this be to repair?

I appreciate the quick response. Its great to have people so helpful :)

Correction on the problem...

The vehicle is stuck in third gear...

They said that the vehicle is stuck in third... you can get it to move forward but it makes noise. In addition... If you try to push the car backwards the car will jump into reverse....

Seems like the same issue that you had with the shift tower bolt breaking off and falling inside and that's where the noise is coming from. What confuses me is the car jumping into reverse when pushed backwards...?

Uhh... with a broken shift tower bolt in there I would be weary about purchasing the car if the guy drove it at all to get home or whatever. The inside of the mtx could be taking a beating if it was driven around at all with the sheared off bolt. It can do enough damage to destroy the transmission. If the car is stuck in 3rd, then you may have to pull the entire trans to get the shift tower out unless you get lucky. If the car was stuck in neutral, the shift tower would come right out.

Pulling engine...

Pulling engine...

I've never pulled an engine before but imagine I could do it...

Anything is possible.

A friend of mine has a race car shop with a lift and what not to do the work at.

:laugh:
Correction on the problem...

The vehicle is stuck in third gear...

They said that the vehicle is stuck in third... you can get it to move forward but it makes noise. In addition... If you try to push the car backwards the car will jump into reverse....

Seems like the same issue that you had with the shift tower bolt breaking off and falling inside and that's where the noise is coming from. What confuses me is the car jumping into reverse when pushed backwards...?

sounds like worst case. Get ready to replace the trans.

I didn't think it was too bad. I had Reebs, Jared and a few others do it for me!

I read your whole thread about replacing your tranny, great to see how replacing a tranny turned into a cookout/meet :)

If I knew so many people who knew so much about this car in my area that would come over and help me fix it for food, I'd have bought it already and gotten the grill ready :p

Updated the profile, I'm from upstate NY.

I'm a Sophomore at Syracuse University and I'm looking to find a car that has a decent value but isn't worth someone to fix at a dealership or mechanic because of a high labor cost.

I'm wrapping up my Fall semester so I'll have the next month and a half off to spend on a winter project :)

The only problem with my "idea" is that I haven't ever done a big project on a car before...

I think the "hardest" job I have ever done was replacing the entire fuel delivery system on a 1988 Mercedes 300te...

Second hardest... replacing a radiator...

Third... Brake pads...

Last edited:
I'd say you're not ready to do this alone yet, unless you have a second car and you have all the time you need or have help from someone experienced.

Update and whatnot...

Update and whatnot...

I think it might be a pain in the rear, but how I see it...

I don't have a job for winter break... If my spare time pulling my hair out getting a car on the road for myself...

1) I'll be saving myself money
2) I'll be learning how to do "the hard stuff" hands on, head first.

I spoke to the seller today and he said that the car hasn't been driven at all since the problem developed o_O...

Back