• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help....

dabl131

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I just accuired a 95 SE v-6, 5 speed, approx. 101000 miles... first of all let me tell you all that this car has been in the family for approx. 10 yrs. but now its mine, ok so i have rough idle, very bad mis and really crappy throttle response....if i remember correctly back a few few yrs ago. i drove my cousin to school and i do recall it barking tires in third gear... so for me to get it back to that, what should i do, oh yeah this engine has been replaced this engine has approx. 89,000 miles. is it the wiring or what? HELP!!!!!!!!:shrug:

Welcome. 1995 OBD-I.
Scan for CEL codes and post.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

Check for cracked/broken hoses (vacuum leaks). Make sure spark plug wires are installed correctly. Make sure spark plugs are gapped correctly (0.054 inch)

SP wiringorder.
Note the 4-6-5 for the coil pack near the firewall side.

Firewall side
4- 6 -5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

Spark Plug gap 0.054 inch

Last edited:
all i can say is wow.......you would think that someone who replaced the wires and coil pack would think about checking the firing order.....(b4 i got it) turns out the #3 and #1 were crossed....so now that it runs a million times better, i gotta get rid of the CEL codes....thnx alot

all i can say is wow.......you would think that someone who replaced the wires and coil pack would think about checking the firing order.....(b4 i got it) turns out the #3 and #1 were crossed....so now that it runs a million times better, ......thnx alot
ROTFL. This happens a lot for the V6 Duratec. In fact, when someone changes spark plugs or sp wires and then posts that the car drives worse than before, the first thing we post in reply is check the sp gap and wiring order. :laugh:

Back