• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

changing rod bearings as prevent. maintaince?

95pgt-t

Hard-core CEG'er
just got to thinking:)help: ) as our engines are starting to get up there in mileage should it become standard practice to change the rod bearings as a prevent. maint.kinda thing. i know its common practice on the sho boards. and seeing how the 2.5 likes to go spin rod bearings wouldnt it be a good idea to change them now,rather than having to replace the whole engine?
mainly asking because i'm buying a csvt w/north of 150k on the original engine,and i'm wondering,do i leave them or change them:shrug:

well if you do change them i would change your piston rings as well. but i don't think anyone dose this here in the manner described. there are svts with over 200k on them and running strong.

piston rings? you can change your rod bearings w/the engine still in the car,no need to change the rings. i'm asking b/c anyone who's pulled one of these engines apart knows the number six bearing is almost always more worn than the rest.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I know I just swapped an engine with 160k on it with a spun bearing. When it was torn down almost all bearings were bad. W/o Mobil 1 I doubt it would have ran that long. By the looks of it they were bad for quite a while before #6 finally went.

So how come when an engine spins a bearing people have to put whole new engines in instead of just swapping out a bearing or all of the bearings?

so if its making noise from the bearing, but still running, is the crank already damaged too much to reuse with a new bearing?

so if its making noise from the bearing, but still running, is the crank already damaged too much to reuse with a new bearing?

Yes, unless you catch it in the very very early stages. I know people who have swapped out the rod bearings with the first sign that they were going, and one car is still running strong 15,000 plus miles later, etc.. But noise and crank damage do go hand in hand.

Who is that one person?

My number 1 rod bearing, piston and rings were replaced, sans crank. the bearing lasted 12,000 miles.. replaced it again and its lasted right at 10,000 miles. I just discovered three days ago that it needs replacing again.. (this time with a crank??)

:sigh:

Who is that one person?

My number 1 rod bearing, piston and rings were replaced, sans crank. the bearing lasted 12,000 miles.. replaced it again and its lasted right at 10,000 miles. I just discovered three days ago that it needs replacing again.. (this time with a crank??)

:sigh:

what would cause that? I would think with as expensive of a setup as yours, you would have the best oil pan available, so what else would cause the bearings to fail that early?

what would cause that? I would think with as expensive of a setup as yours, you would have the best oil pan available, so what else would cause the bearings to fail that early?
you've got alot to read about.
the 2.5 heads have a horrilbe design for oil drainback,lack of oil causes lack of oil pressure,lack of oil pressure causes worn rod bearings.

My guess is that the crank suffered more than we thought when the piston was bent and subsequently replaced. I had a bearing failure on that same cylinder 10-12K miles later and caught it under a simple "after piston replacement check". replaced it before it actually failed and now that one has 10K on it or so as well. its failed completely, though, and I am sure scored the crank this time.

I'll have to see how it goes, but the car isn't being driven like it is!

you've got alot to read... Ray is far from stock and he defenitly doesn't have a 2.5L! :D
umm,i've been on the forums since early 01,i'm aware of what most people have or dont. the way it was worded made me think the question was more general,then directed at ray specifically

umm,i've been on the forums since early 01,i'm aware of what most people have or dont. the way it was worded made me think the question was more general,then directed at ray specifically

98tredsvt wrote ...

He was referring to Rays nice setup which involves a 3L and you directed a comment back at 98tredsvt telling him he needs to do some research and crap because of blah blah blah problems with the 2.5. Your join date is not 01, what happened? I was just giving out some sarcasm so just chill anyways.

i'm not excited:shrug: cant really get any calmer. thanks for copy and pasting all that for me:eek:

Back