• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need Help With Interior Light Problem?

keithr

Veteran CEG'er
Hello everyone,
I got a real crazy one here. The interior light below where your feet are will all of a sudden not shut off?

Cant say for sure when this started but I just bought a new battery tonight and started it up and took a drive, when I got back I realized the lights wouldnt shut off, probably why the battery was dead? I dont know, any help would be great. Thanks.

Keith
Canadian SVT 99

:shrug:

Check all of your doors and make sure that they are closed all the way if you haven't yet and also check the switch near the door hinges and make sure its not jammed. Third you may want to check your dimmer. I don't know about the canadian model's but the dimmer might be somehow connected with that. Just throwing that out there. That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

For future reference this post would be better off in the troubleshooting or lighting sections.:shrug:

99-00 Contours use the dimmer switch to turn on interior lights.

If the switch is clicked over all the way, the lights will come on and stay on.

Interior lights won't turn off

Interior lights won't turn off

The 'oreo' dimmer switch, to the right of the steering column on the dashboard, controls the the on/off function of the interior lights. Rotate it both ways to see how it works(better at night). At one end of the rotation, you will feel it 'click'. That's when your interior lights come on. 'Click' it off and they should go out. It is easy to hit unknowingly with your finger when it is in the 'bright' position and turn the overhead and footwell lights on. In order to keep from draining my battery if I do this, I put LEDs in the lights that come on. No problems since.

Did you just wire a whole new LED Set up? or have a LED Light that just went into those spots? Not had a issue with it before, but not a bad idea to do anyway.

LED replacements

LED replacements

I just replaced the stock incandescent bulbs with their LED equivalent. I believe the footwell bulbs were 194s, and the overhead interior light was a festoon of about 37-41mm in length. I got them from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com and have been satisfied with them, as I have had no problems that many others have reported with using LEDs. And I have never hit the dimmer switch since that first time, as I am aware of it now. You have a wide choice of colors with LEDs that you don't have with stock bulbs, so you can suit your own fancy as to the color. I would do it again if it ever came up.

Back