• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Contour/Cougar header info

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
I've been doing some research for a header for the zetec engine. The one mentioned a lot around the forums is the one built by Weapon-R for the cougar. I will be ordering one shortly. Below is some useful info:

The collector end (final pipe) is 2.25 in.

The best price I've found is from RacingLab ($219.95):
http://www.racinglab.com/wr-race-0021.html

The part number for this header is: 953-112-107

Hope this info is useful to others

Received the header in the mail today. I'm going to try to install it this weekend :drool:
wishes i had an extra 250 bucks right about now. and also do you have to buy new 2.25 pipes for the rest or can you use old pipes?

wishes i had an extra 250 bucks right about now. and also do you have to buy new 2.25 pipes for the rest or can you use old pipes?

With the WR header you can use the old pipes until you upgrade your exhaust system - you will have no catalytic converter and must install a MIL eliminator or you may be throwing a CEL and burning fuel like mad.

I added a CAT so my daughter would be street legal.

With the WR header you can use the old pipes until you upgrade your exhaust system - you will have no catalytic converter and must install a MIL eliminator or you may be throwing a CEL and burning fuel like mad.

I'm guessing you just took a section of pipe out and added a hi-flow cat?

If I remember correctly the first O2 sensor is for air/fuel mix, the second is just for emissions. So since the header has a bung for the first O2, then the second one is the one that will cause the check engine light (until a mil is added or the ecu is adjusted) which shouldn't cause any change in fuel usage.

If I remember correctly the first O2 sensor is for air/fuel mix, the second is just for emissions. So since the header has a bung for the first O2, then the second one is the one that will cause the check engine light (until a mil is added or the ecu is adjusted) which shouldn't cause any change in fuel usage.

You may be right. I have forgotten what the PCM does in response to a failing CAT... :ponder: Seems I recall something about a rich fuel mix to heat the cat and burn off buildup, but maybe that was for my old Mercury...

Back