• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tool for upstream rear bank O2 Sensor?

I will be changing my uppers soon. I'm thinking a stuby 22mm would work for the rear position.

Would the connector of the O2 fit though the box end?
Which brand sensor did you use?

The stubby didn't give me enough leverage to break it loose. If I still worked in a shop and knew that I would have to change these frequently, I would buy a 22 mm Craftsman combination wrench and bend it to shape (heating with a torch). I no longer work in a shop and don't have access to a torch.

I bought my oxygen sensors from oxygensensors.com, which is Auto Medic Supply.

http://www.automedicsupply.com/index.php?&stopredirect=yes&width=1280&height=800

I used Walker sensors, part number 250-24015. I also ordered their three socket kit. For me, it was better to work from underneath, although you still need to work from above to locate the connector. The Walker sensors looked very much like the original sensors. The Bosch sensors would be more difficult to work with. I had no trouble with the sensor wire. IIRC the connector fits through the box wrench.

I used an offset O2 sensor removal tool. $12 from Advance (Autozone sells them too). They have a slit for the wire to go through so I don't have worry about the connector..

I just used my standard Craftsman 7/8" inch combo while pushing the fuse holder toward the firewall with a crowbar (retaining nuts removed, of course).

Steve

I used a box end wrench I modified..

I used a box end wrench I modified..

"I used an offset O2 sensor removal tool. $12 from Advance" Tony2005...Good Choice!!!
I saw a socket like that at Northern Tool for $5, a better deal. But I bought a regular O2 socket $4, and it didn't fit in that tight space. I wish I had bought the other one, you put you socket wrench ( need stubby ) in it. Also saw it at Sears online, $6.99. Low profile offset, I think it would work well. Sears.com has a good selection/prices even set for $28....Search oxygen sensor and it'll come up.
I had a offset box end 22mm that came in a set, had a kind of U-shape on both ends so it fit in tight areas, I cut it open with a hacksaw. Works great on most all O2's. I got the thing done, it was very challenging.
You have to hold up wiring harness slightly, I used a pry bar. Go in from far right of harness, I put arm in till elbow. Had a nice bruise afterwards. Thats why a smaller wrench is better. Its too tight a space, and I couldn't get a regular socket with any flex/extensions too work....

On mine, I just used a regular 7/8 wrench. Luckily for me, I was able to turn it enough to break loose, then just undid it by hand. Same goes with tightening it.

I seen a wratchet today that might be of use, instead of the basic wratcheting action, you turn the handle. just my .02.:shrug:

I bought the socket with the flexible handle from Auto Zone. It is listed as being specifically designed for a Ford Contour. The tool did work on the original Ford part, although it was a pain. It does NOT work however on the Bosch part. I had to use a 7/8" long handled wrench instead. It wasn't the prettiest way to tighten it but it got the job done.

Anything with a long handle might cause issues. There is so much crap in the way when trying to get at that sensor that a normal 7/8" wrench was too long. I have a 7/8 wrench that I cut in half so it's short enough to get in there and get on it. You just have to have enough strength to turn the short handle which normally isn't a huge issue.

Back