• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bang shift?

Jroc22

New CEG'er
Hey everyone, im having a problem that recently started with my CD4E a few days ago, on my way home from work I stopped to get gas and then leaving the gas station the trans shifted into second very harshly. It has since done this every single 1-2 shift, but also when you shift into drive from park it jerks as well where it used to just go into gear smoothly, it also idles really rough in gear and it goes away if u put it in neutral or park. Is this the common bang shift problem that I have been reading about or is it something else? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to edit the thread, I should mention its an early 95 Contour with the Zetec 2.0

I have the 1-2 bang shift problem with my 2000 Contour 4-Cyl and I don't have the same symptoms as you describe. My trans. goes into park fine, and does NOT do the 1-2 bang shift EVERY 1-2 shift.

I would say take a look at the engine and trans. mounts and make sure they are O.K. I would also do the trans. drain and refill 3 times, its cheap insurance. If that all does not help then I would change the TSS sensor since it is only around $25.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm going to do the 3x drain and fill this weekend. It actually stopped doing this out of the blue on my way home from work tonight and shifts beautifully now, my mechanic was saying he thinks it could be the MLPS as well but we will see, if it starts shifting hard again I'll change it.

If you haven't installed it, install the Shift Correction Kit. You need this kit to prevent excessive high pressures, blown seals and/or worn clutch steels, etc.

Bob

Btrautman knows this trans well!

Btrautman knows this trans well!

btrautman did the ATX rebuild pics found under CD4E FAQ back in the older forum! (The pictures do not work always however, I put them on ftp server PM if you need them.)

Missing Pictures

Missing Pictures

btrautman did the ATX rebuild pics found under CD4E FAQ back in the older forum! (The pictures do not work always however, I put them on ftp server PM if you need them.)

I lost those pictures on a hard drive failure. If you have these pictures can I get them back from you? I'm also looking for pictures on the Duratec Rebuild that I posted also.....

Thanks,
Bob

Definately going to get the shift correction kit installed seems like a good idea to prevent any future transmission problems.

Back