• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Touch up spray paint

Okay, If you dont know Amazon Green (SU) and Tropical Green (SU) are the same color. The changed the name of the SVT paint to make it sound "special". When I order my paint it comes up as Amazon Green.

I get my paint put into rattle cans at CarQuest. I got three cans for ~$40. I have done my Eyelids and oval with this. It did come out a little darker, but not noticeable to the unexpecting eye. This was a one step quick dry acrylic enamel.

With that being said I also go a large item done at a paintshop. They used two step Dupont. The results were the same. Darker.

I primed painted and cleared my One step for added protection because it was on the front of the car. Also be sure not to west sand your final base coat before the clear coat because you will disturb the metallic and make uneven pattern.

Hope this helps.

Oh and Paintscratch.com offers rattle cans too. Duplicolor doesnt! just the pen and it will be called Amazon Green.

Thanks, guess I didn't know about the fancy SVT name being the same color as the lowly SE one......lol

I saw the paintscratch site too but they wanted about $25 for an 11oz can. Next time I will check car quest for sure.

Thanks for the tip about the final base coat and wet sanding, cuz I sure would have done that.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

AF

I was wrong, it was the pen I finally found after a year. I had previously gone to the dealer and bought a little 1oz canister w/ the brush for ~$20.

And I'm sticking to my Tropic Green. :p

LOL, maybe I'll change mine to Tropic Green too.... I wonder if it will make mine run better...... LOL

I found a little bottle of touch up at AutoZone in Plasti-Kote, but they didn't offer it in the spray cans, and when I checked the web site they don't offer it now either. Guess that means we are stuck with special orders....

AF

Tropic Green SE :laugh:

Update..... I received the paint on time. Followed the instructions to do the test card first. The paint didn't match. To me it seemed to lean closer to the pacific green color but it wasn't that either. Anyway I sent off an email to the company and by the time I got to work I had a call from Skip. He said to fill out the back of the card and gave me the story about this matching new paint and the whole paint fading over time thing. All I can say is I don't think there is much fading in the trunk, but what do I know about it? I was impressed with the prompt contact and willingness to make things right. I sent them the card back along with an original mirror cover that I had replaced some time ago. Skip said they would match it up and resend the paint. They didn't want the other paint sent back.

The package is to arrive back to them on the 26th or 27th. So far I give them hi marks for effort and customer service...... more to follow.

Merry Christmas,
AF

The latest update from Skip @ Automotivetouchup this morning. They found the problem and are mixing up two new cans of paint for me. They will be send them along with the part I sent to me shortly.

This seems to indicate there was a mixing problem and they have made a correction. Again I have to say on the surface they get HIGH marks for customer service. As for the product ...... we shall see.

Happy New Year,
AF

My remixed paint came yesterday so I'll be working on the project this weekend. Getting the paint has taken awhile, but if it is right then it is worth the wait.

In the mean time while waiting I have wet sanded the mirror covers and primed them with black primer. I chose the black since that is the color of the plastic if I were to remove all the paint. I did get it down to where you could see the base in places. I figure that now when I paint them they should match my sample which is an original MC off the car.

Pics later.

AF

I painted my mirror covers this weekend and they turned out very well. The remix on the paint was a reasonable match. It is a bit darker but not enough to make a fuss about, especially since they are separated by the black mounting.

First I did a little wet sanding of the primer with some 2000 grit.
Wet sanding.jpg
I did four light coats of paint followed by four coats of clear coat. I plan on doing four more coats of clear in a couple of days then after a week of drying I'll rub them out shinny.
Fresh paint.jpg

What do you think?

Heated mirrors on my 99 are getting closer :laugh:

And I do recommend Automotivetouchup.com for color matched paint. If I had wanted they would have done another remix for me too.

AF

Last edited:
Maybe that is a different color than mine. Mine looks darker than that. Unless those pics are washed-out.

Back