• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MM&FF Article "The Fast And Furious Special Vehicle Team"

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
The Fast And Furious Special Vehicle Team
MM&FF takes a look at Ford's Special Vehicle Team as it celebrates its 10th anniversary
By Steve Baur
illustrators: Randy G, Courtesy of Ford SVT Archival

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0312mm_ford_special_vehicle_team/index.html

With the Lightning bowing out after 1995, there was a void in SVT that was filled in 1998 with the SVT Contour. Based on Ford's Mondeo platform that was well respected in Europe, the Contour was a hot little sedan just waiting for the American hot rodders to get their hands on. Overseas, the Mondeo sported a turbocharged 2-liter powerplant, but SVT engineers went with Ford's Duratec 2.5-liter V-6 for some naturally aspirated grunt.

Backed only by a five-speed transmission, the engine's induction was treated to abrasive media porting to help it achieve 195 hp and 165 lb-ft of torque. This kind of power really made the sedan get up and go, but as with every SVT product, there was more to it than just speed.

Larger brakes combined with a highly tuned suspension provided the proper handling to compete with its target enemies, the German buzzbombs from BMW and Audi. The interior got the SVT treatment with luxurious leather upholstery, white face gauges and a 160-mph speedometer, and Black and Silver Frost Clearcoats were joined by Toreador Red for the exterior color selections.

For 1999 SVT added more suspension upgrades, changed the rubber from Goodyear to BFGoodrich and increased power output to 200 hp and 169 lb-ft of torque. Tropic Green Metallic Clearcoat was added to spice up the color combos. The SVT Contour continued production through 2000, until the entire Contour line ceased production to prepare for the upcoming Ford Focus. A total of 11,445 of the four door BMW slayers were produced over the three-year span. "The SVT Contour showed we knew how to do something other than two-door sport coupes," noted Timothy Boyd. "It was very well received and helped create a family of SVT products."

Just nice to see an article that includes the "BMW Slayer".

luv articles like those. Makes me feel like am all that everytime i get into my SVT :). Besides, u gatta appreciate the SVT division. Left to ford, there'd be no "bmw slayers". Now not only do i slay them, but i bury them n say their euology also. ;) (see sig)

So what would a 325 sedan do for an ET? I'd like to line up against one at the local drags sometime. But if their owners are more into road course track days, I'd then leave them up to Groovenerd.

So what would a 325 sedan do for an ET? I'd like to line up against one at the local drags sometime. But if their owners are more into road course track days, I'd then leave them up to Groovenerd.

dude, u've got koni struts and an aussie bar. if u drop it a few inches, theres no reason u shouldnt be able to keep up with a 325. dont 4get, our tours arent made only for the straight line. As for the ET, theres a website somewhere u can check. its somewhere on the forums within the last week

Killed an E36 325i at an autox that was on 1/2 a road course with my lowly SE. Still had everything pretty much stock. He came up and was amazed at my cars abilities.:cool:

Last edited:
Great article, I love reading positive things like that about the csvt. Anything about the csvt for that matter,lol

it's nice to hear about the CSVT in the MM&FF magazine too. they are impossible to get anything but a mustang into. I absolutely love the contour and it will be in the garage someday next to bigger and faster cars. but it'll still be an all time favorite

Back