• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What I did all weekend (Baja vids)

rollinstylee

Hard-core CEG'er
Spent Saturday and Sunday at our shop/field digging a testing area for our cars and getting last year's car (Swamp Donkey) ready to trash again. This is the first drive over what we created. I'm in the blue shirt on the left at the beginning. The bumps at the end spell out U V A because...why not.

And this is what happens when your CVT is slipping and you find out your jump is too long. :laugh: When the rear end came down it DESTROYED our jackshaft mounts. Our powertrain will be much better this year.

And a pic for good measure. I think that's my hand, I have a knack for ruining pictures.

DSCN0446.jpg

Looks like a nice design. I assume you will be adding the engine mesh screening and removing the custom intake for competition?

The Baja I worked on use the same tires as your rears.

Was that floored? man, might want a little nitrous. Looks fun...

That was floored, but at the time the CVT belt wasn't properly tensioned, the jackshafts were all F-ed up, and we now know that horrible squealing was the rear brake rotor cutting through a "protective" 1x0.083 steel tube. I'll have to double check but I think nitrous might be against the rules. :nonono:

Looks like a nice design. I assume you will be adding the engine mesh screening and removing the custom intake for competition?

The Baja I worked on use the same tires as your rears.

All covers and guards were off in these pics and vids, obviously. Who actually keeps those on away from competition??? :laugh: That's NOT a custom intake actually, it's a factory Briggs & Stratton snorkel, competition legal. Just about the only engine mod/option allowed. Notice the cap, strategically angled for some sweet RAM AIR! Gotta let the orange dragon breathe ya know.

*Edit* oh and to clarify, this was our car from LAST year, haven't begun building yet this year, still in the design phase.

Last edited:
We all took a break from this year's design and fabrication since I finally fixed last year's car. We can easily clear the jump now, as I will now demonstrate. :cool:

This year's car should be over 100 pounds lighter and close to 10 mph faster so way more airborne fun.

We got an old friend of the team to bring a Kubota tractor to the field plus we rented a Bobcat for some gnarly track mayhem this weekend...including a huge dirt spike (too fast and you'll flip, too slow and you'll high-center), zigzag dirt-covered log field, and the piece de resistance, a "small" tabletop. :drool: This is me in our huge & heavy 2006 car. (Ignore our prez's lame screaming haha)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjPeCHYp6c
Tabletop obviously needs to be longer and less steep or the new 200+ lb lighter car will launch into orbit.

Last edited:
Back