• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Messed up '98 timing...

kscontourkid

Veteran CEG'er
how far out of time can a 2.5 be before you bend valves? the duratecs are interference motors from what ive found. I got the timing on my hybrid 3L all off but havent bent any valves that we can find. i think i got lucky at about 180 degrees or so out but i have horrible overlap with 30psi in all pistons. turned motor over before starting it and it turned over just fine but cant figure out how that can be on an interference motor... im totally confused.

don't 3L pistons have valve reliefs?
The reliefs were added around 2000(?) and were to give extra clearance during VCT operation since the valve opens at a different point of piston motion. They do not give enough clearance to prevent piston to valve contact if the timing is off.

its all good got the timing fixed and didnt bend anything got over 150 psi in the pistons. but i have noticed that i dont seem to have tons of power... also dont really have exhaust on it yet or a tune...its an SE kinda needs tuning. i have noticed tremendous torque gains below 2K rpm thats it... any words? all are welcome pics coming soon

its all good got the timing fixed and didnt bend anything got over 150 psi in the pistons. but i have noticed that i dont seem to have tons of power... also dont really have exhaust on it yet or a tune...its an SE kinda needs tuning. i have noticed tremendous torque gains below 2K rpm thats it... any words? all are welcome pics coming soon

I had a timing issue with my 3L as well. My car wouldn't idle worth a **it but above 2K rpm it ran like a champ. Had to pull the front cover off again and retime it. It was running crappy for a good 6 mos. like that though. Hope everything goes well.

You'd think that but as Brapple and aircougar can attest to, it was definatly a timing issue. It ran well above 2000 rpm but idled really scary rough. We just kept it above 2000 at lights and such.

Well see, that's the same type of issue I'm having with my car. It runs amazing above 2000 rpm but at idle the car vibrates. Did you just pull the chains and retime it?

Well see, that's the same type of issue I'm having with my car. It runs amazing above 2000 rpm but at idle the car vibrates. Did you just pull the chains and retime it?

Yeah exactly, Make sure that the chains are properly tensioned before releasing the pins on the tensioners. I think that is where my problem was. Are you getting misfire codes as well?

No misfire codes, I mean it's not really that bad. The car runs great above 2k and it put down over 200 WHP so I don't really think the timing can be off, especially the way our cars are timed.

update! everything works great found out why no power. IMRC...again. got it fixed ran it on a dyno today but was disappointed to find i only put down 155whp and 157lb-ft of torque! it is untuned and is an SE car so i think that is why. but goes like hell from the butt dyno. impressed all who have ridden in it so im happy for now till i get a tune. gas mileage sucks a$$ oh well the tune will fix that.

Back