• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well then

Redstar

CEG'er
My suspension form BAT came in today. There is one small problem (actually two). The important thing is that my springs are scratched through the rubber to the metal in places. I can't get a good picture of it, but it's kind of frustrating after I just payed $800 when all was said and done:nonono: . Should I send them back? The smaller problem is that they didn't send me my waterpump, but they didn't charge me for it either. Is this what I should expect from BAT?

not happy? contact your credit card [or bat, they are nice people to deal with]

and not getting the water pump. unlike most of our suppliers, they are one of the few that actually stock a majority of the parts they sell [rather than everything being drop shipped from the manufacturer]. I find that every time I place an order with them that there will always be one part they dont have on hand, and its always expected in 2 weeks [well isnt this place a geographical oddity!]

Just give them a call.

not happy? contact your credit card [or bat, they are nice people to deal with]

and not getting the water pump. unlike most of our suppliers, they are one of the few that actually stock a majority of the parts they sell [rather than everything being drop shipped from the manufacturer]. I find that every time I place an order with them that there will always be one part they dont have on hand, and its always expected in 2 weeks [well isnt this place a geographical oddity!]

Just give them a call.

if they didnt charge for it why contact credit card:shrug:
contact bat

I called BAT and they told me to rub special wax on the springs (for rustproofing) and they are sending out the water pump frieght free. Works for me. So... who wants to install my suspension?

special wax:confused:

I designed and released automotive springs for quite a few years. The paint on springs is very important. Stress corossion has caused quite a few recalls. At minimum the paint will be an e-coat, but some are powder.

wax???

I would send them back.

I would kind of like to send them back, but shipping is $50 one way, and I would feel bad calling and complaining again. The wax they said to put on it is wax you use on bare metal to stop it from rusting. It's kind of a ghetto fix and crappy customer service, but if it gets the job done, I don't care that much.

no wax will get the job done long term. Hope those scratches aren't in a high stress location. If it is then I give 2 to 3 years and they will break.

The 'wax' suggestion is total crap, and I don't know if you're going to drive it in the snow (salt) but that will make it even worse. If I just spent that much on some springs etc. I would at least want them to be in 'new' condition before they even go on the car.....

Also, where are you shipping to and through which shipping service...??? Unless BAT is located in Australia $50 sounds a little much going one way. Get back to me with a 'to' and 'from' zip code(s) and I'll see what I can do for a price if you should need it....

But I personally wouldn't be worried about shipping as I would be extremely unhappy if I received a supposed new product that was not 'new'. I would be asking for another set with no shipping charges seeing is how you should already have the product you wanted, a 'new' one.....

~Justin :cool:

Last edited:
just re-paint the area with some black rustoleum.

I was thinking the same thing. You'll probably end up scratching them during the installation anyhow. What kind of scratches are they if you can't get a good picture of them? Either way BAT seemed good to me when I ordered control arms from them. About the only place I could find that had them in stock (including the dealership).

Get some self etching primer on there first and clean it before you paint that area.. otherwise it will rust..

they are suspension parts... they arent chrome show car parts... just repaint them or touch them up once they are installed. even if its slight surface rust its not going to rust completely thru and render the parts defective.

So, I finally got some decent pitures after fiddling with the camera settings. As far as the whole calling BAT and demanding a new set of springs, I couldn't do it. I would just feel like an ass hole. Maybe I can get my Dad to do it... Anywho, does everyone think rustoleum will work. These springs aren't powdercoated, they have a rubber coating. The $50 dollar frieght with all the parts (stuts, springs, various other suspension bits).

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01641-1.jpg

i dont think i would even worry about it those are very minimal
i dont think it will cause any harm

Those look like the type of marks one would make using basic spring compressors to install.
Kinda makes me wonder if these were returned to BAT by someone and then resold to you or something.

I wouldn't worry about them too much though. Like someone else said, you'll probably do that much damage when you install them yourself.

your going to do more than that just installing them -- its nothing to worry about.

paint them to match your car if you want it to look all pretty (who sees them anyway once they are installed?)

Back