• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'97 Countour automatic transmission problem

scasper

New CEG'er
Just Purchased a '97 Contour with a 2.0 Zetec and auto trans, had a bad timing belt adjuster pulley.
Just got done changing all of that, seems to run OK. The car has been sitting for about 2 years.
It is having a problem shifting out of 1st under full throttle. Shifts a little late at moderate throttle. I you are running at about 35 mph or so and step on the accellerator, it will kick down to first and bounce off of the rev limiter until I back out of the throttle a little. It does have a bit of a clunk to it if you give it a little throttle while cruising at 30 or so.
I did change the trans fluid, the old fluid looked pretty good and was not burned. There are no funny noises.
I hope that after I get a few more miles on it it may clear up.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Last edited:
I'm going down now to have the codes checked.

Autozone lists an "in transmission vehicle speed sensor".

Does this look like the right part?
wl2su2114003.jpg

Just drove it down to Autozone. Trans is shifting slightly better. The "check engine" light came on and the "overdrive off" light started flashing.

The two codes the scanner came up with are:

102 - Mass airflow sensor

1401 - DPFE sensor circuit voltage high (EGR pressure sensor)

The car is surging a little at higher RPM's and the idle is a little too low also.

The overdrive off light flashing indicates that there is a transmission problem from what I have read here. Someone else have more details...??

The overdrive off light flashing indicates that there is a transmission problem from what I have read here. .....??

Correct. Op needs to get a tranny scan (usually with real time scanner and before the engine is shut down) and post the exact codes here. It might cost $100 to get the scan done at a tranny shop or independent repair shop.

As for the other codes, MAFsensor (clean it first),
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1300227&Forum=trouble&Words=maf%20sensor&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1300091&Search=true#Post1300227

DPFEsensor (change it).
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=20229&highlight=dpfesensor

Last edited:
Already cleaned the MAF sensor, no change. No vacuum leaks to be found either. Going to order a TSS sensor today, sound like the culprit after looking at other posts on this and other sites.
I'll let you know if it helps.

Thanks

Last edited:
UPDATE

UPDATE

I changed the TSS sensor, it does seem to shift better. Still having the kickdown problem from before, but not all of the time (just most). The constantly flashing O/D light will still come on, sometimes within a mile of where I started, sometimes 3 or 4 miles.

Changed the MAF sensor, (no ce light!:D ).
Also found the DPFA sensor was missing (car came from a towing company/repair shop, so it was robbed at sometime to fix another car).
Seems to run pretty well, still idles a little low though.
Hopefully it will get better with more miles on it.

Going to try and get the trans codes read tomorrow. I'll post the results here when I get them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Stop driving it untill you know why the OD light is flashing. You can easily damage the transmission even fruther by just driving around with the light flashing.

Got the codes read

Got the codes read

Went to the transmission shop today.
Here are the codes that were pulled:
PO732 and PO734 - improper 2nd and 4th gear ratio
The trans is shifting a little eratic, but it is driveable for now.

I know this is pretty much a death certificate for the car. It's a shame because it is a pretty good little car, runs great since I changed the timing belt and replaced the MAF sensor.

Rebuilding is out of the question due to the cost ($1800 to $2400 was the quote).
I may have a line on a low mileage guaranteed transmission for not many $'s. The car will only be driven about 6000 miles a year if I decide to fix it.
Any idea how long a trans swap takes without a hoist? I have the tools to do the job myself.

Your conlcusion sounds right. A low mileage tranny sounds like the ticket. I'd add a replacement valve body with Sonnax valves to it before installing it, though. About $300. Will prevent the TC from getting toasted.

I dropped and reinstalled my tranny by myself on the floor of my garage by myself. Took around 12-15 hours for a first time event.

Good luck.

Steve

The used tranny did not work out (wrong year).
Found a moonlighter that works at a transmission shop that will do a rebuild start to finish including a rebuilt Sonnax valve body for $1100.00.
Said he will guarantee his work.
Decisions decisions.
That will bring me up to $1900 total investment in the car, but it will have a transmission that should outlast the rest of the car.

Back