• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which wheel spins first?

97vulcan

CEG'er
On my 1998 CSVT, which drive wheel will spin first when they are both in the snow? I am asking because I have two tires, but one has a little better tread than the other one, and I want to put the better treaded tire on the wheel that will spin first.

Thanks,
Adam

On my 1998 CSVT, which drive wheel will spin first when they are both in the snow? I am asking because I have two tires, but one has a little better tread than the other one, and I want to put the better treaded tire on the wheel that will spin first.

Thanks,
Adam

The one with the least amount of traction will spin first.

How will you drive the car with only two tires?

...How will you drive the car with only two tires?

Put one in the front left and one in the back right and don't make any sudden moves behind the wheel. :laugh:

Adam, for what it's worth, an open differential like the one in our cars will take the path of least resistance and spin the wheel with the least traction, as 2000SilverSVT pointed out.

Actually with FWD you want the tires with the most tread on the rears. I would rather have more confidence in my lateral traction (not spinning out) than in accelerating faster.

Actually with FWD you want the tires with the most tread on the rears. I would rather have more confidence in my lateral traction (not spinning out) than in accelerating faster.

i would have to agree. lose control of the front end, you can usually regain it pretty easily, lose control of the rear most people are f****d

i would have to agree. lose control of the front end, you can usually regain it pretty easily, lose control of the rear most people are f****d

werd, it drives me nuts when I go to tire shops during the winter and see people getting two snow tires and leaving the all season/summer tires on the rears :nonono: those are the cars you see getting rammed in the ass by telephone poles. :nonono:

I put tread on the front, I end up yankin the ebrake left and right anyway

/\ agree. I'll take control off steering verse ass end whipping out any day. Who ever said "fwd" rear tires first, need this :troutslap: . Traction, steering and 60% braking controled by front two wheels. Its a no brainer.

RWD I might put tires in the rear. You can use the rear to help steer somewhat if you get traction. Plus without traction your going no were.

Last edited:
/\ agree. I'll take control off steering verse ass end whipping out any day. Who ever said "fwd" rear tires first, need this :troutslap: . Traction, steering and 60% braking controled by front two wheels. Its a no brainer.
I beg to differ. It is easier to "save" a "tight" (understeer) situation than a "loose" (oversteer) situation. That's my experience anyway having driven in packed snow, ice, dry and wet road conditions.

Edit. Also hydoplaning issue.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Last edited:
Ya but taking off from the deep-snow stoplight, I'd rather have tread up front.....

Stopping to miss crazy ol' soccer mom Judy in the powder, thats a different scenario....

Do you guys deflate your PSI during snowtime? if so how much?

Last edited:
There is a reason you should run similar tires at all 4 corners. drastically different levels of grip at either end will result in an uncontrollable vehicle.

There is a reason you should run similar tires at all 4 corners. drastically different levels of grip at either end will result in an uncontrollable vehicle.
Yes, I agree 100 percent. But in cases where you have a blow out and you want to replace two (keep the one "good" tire), then you are left with 2 new ones and another two which have 1/2 the tread, then I would put the new ones on the back. Actually, this happened to me on three different vehicles.

Now that I have two additional sets of wheels, I have 4 brand new (less than 1K miles) all season tires on stock (14 inch) rims for the winter. My summer 16 inch wheels and tires are in storage (together with my other set of wheels-2 1/2 tread and 2 bald tires).

Variations in tread depth, as long as none of them are actually bad, do not generally result in a drastic difference in grip. I'm talking about two different types of tires entirely, or junk tires on one end, or something like that.

Yes should most definitly prefer all 4. I stick with my front tire remark. In a condition were the rear end is sliding around, either the tires are just completey junk, than theres no helping you there. Or your most likely over driving the conditions of the road itself.

FTW! :cool: Hanook ipike 409 studdable performance tires on the front, Kelly Sport Touring All seaons on the Rear! :laugh: Goes right though a 1/2 of snow drifted field roads, 4 inches of snow, and icey wet. Oh and its fun as hell cause the Ipike are x5 better grip! :laugh:

You just need to know what you're car is going to do. In most cases if you're going down a hill and the car is sliding, the tires don't mean poop cause you are already out of control! Knowing you car, and how to drive it in the snow is the first step!

Last edited:
. :laugh:

Every winter for fun I put summer tires on the rear, snow tires up front.

Dorifto around every corner.. and if you feel like you're gonna spin out, floor it and FWD pulls you out of the spin :crazy:

Back