• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lifters...

cannondalemtb

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a 98 SVT with approx 100k on it. I started noticing a slight lifter tick a few months ago. Now it seems to be getting worse. I have never over-reved the car either.
My question: Is there anything that I can do about this?

Try a bottle of Engine Restorer. For $5, you can't go wrong.

In addition, just before changing the oil, pour a bottle of Seafoam in the engine, then run it for 15 minutes or so, then change the oil and filter. Sometimes, this helps if it is dirty valves, etc.

I had the same problem.But i got the lifter tick from over reving a new motor.Take some time if your handy and pull the upper intake off and the valve covers..Its pretty self simple.And take a look and let me know what you see if anything looks out of place.I notice my lifter wasnt even in place..Hope this helps some.

If it is out of place... what do I do from there?

I ordered a brand new lifter and rocker.After it was ticking i shot it straight threw the valve cover.But yes if out of place you can try to put it back in place.Move it around and if theres any play, Replace it dont drive it like that.You will hurt it more.Cheap parts i think i spent less that 20 bucks on the lifter and rocker.Keep me updated.

Can the lifter and rocker be replaced with just the valve cover off? And is it easy?

Yes just with the vavle cover off..Its fairly easy..The spring need to pushed to replace the rocker(Need to get it under the cam).Its been awhile since i did mine.(I ACTUALLY HAD TO LOOSEN THE CAM HOLDERS.TO LET THE CAM COME UP SOME.)Just be careful.Let me know when you crack into it and see.

I won't have time until probably Sunday afternoon. Should I try any kind of engine restorer until then or is it probably not worth it?

Probally wont hurt to try.I dont believe in the stuff even though it works for some cases.Just a quick temp fix.Yeah try it and see what happens.Sunday yeah tear into it you have any problems or get stumped get with me i'll help you out.

And to add to the Seafoam recommendation. They say if you're going to do the oil change that day, put at least 30 miles on it before changing it out. Otherwise, they recommend 100-200 miles before changing it out.

Can the lifter and rocker be replaced with just the valve cover off? And is it easy?

If your not very mechanically inclined I wouldn't attempt this unless you have another car to drive. This won't just take you one day to fix if you don't work on cars very often. Even if you do if you don't get into engine tear downs this won't be the easiest thing for you. This isn't anything close to replacing brake pads or rotors. Just keep that in mind.

If your not very mechanically inclined I wouldn't attempt this unless you have another car to drive. This won't just take you one day to fix if you don't work on cars very often. Even if you do if you don't get into engine tear downs this won't be the easiest thing for you. This isn't anything close to replacing brake pads or rotors. Just keep that in mind.

I had mine done in about 2hrs.Not sayig for some people its not easy.I am willing to help people out with problems that can be taken care of in there own homes in a afternoon.

Well I just bought oil and a filter to do the oil change tomorrow (or anytime in the near future). I also bought Seafoam and thought that I should give it a try. Should I also try the Engine Restorer in the metal can? Or just the seafoam?

Well I just bought oil and a filter to do the oil change tomorrow (or anytime in the near future). I also bought Seafoam and thought that I should give it a try. Should I also try the Engine Restorer in the metal can? Or just the seafoam?

Well since you got the seafoam try that.Change your oil.Refill.Pour in seafoam.If still problem continues drain oil.Refill.Try engine restore.Problem still continues PM me and can help you take a look at them lifters.

I didn't think you left the seafoam in though. Shouldn't I add it to the oil that is in there now and then change it later then? Because that would be a waste of oil haha

I didn't think you left the seafoam in though. Shouldn't I add it to the oil that is in there now and then change it later then? Because that would be a waste of oil haha

Yeah i think your right.I have never used the stuff.My theroy is if its broke fix it right.But sometimes in life we need to cheat and do it cheaper.

Yeah i hear yeah i drove around on a fryed clutch for about 2 months(NO SLIP)When i pulled it,It was fryed. IMRC cable frayed(Still opened the manifolds but after awhile it would stop).

Back