• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Recall: 98 Contour/mystique low speed fan motor

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
so i was on all data today just getting the part number for my low speed fan relay because it doesnt come on, ive been running with the a/c on to keep it from overheating.

then i found a recall for 98 contour/mystiques explaining how the low speed fan motor cuts out and fails, and that it calls for a reflash of the pcm to compensate. so i printed it out and went striaght to the ford dealer afterschool.

the i gave the advisor the copy and my vin and told him i had the exact same problem that it described....then....

he said that my vehicle didnt fall in the "affected vehicle list" because my car was made in Chicago and the recall only calls for car made at the plant in Kentucky i believe which is a bunch of crap.

I dont understand why, i have the same syptoms but they wont touch it because my car was made somewhere else where the problem wasnt admitted.

Has only one else seen this recall and/or acted on it? and is there anything i can do to get it done to my vehicle?

i am going to get a new relay and that might just solve it but advanced/and autozone as well as 2 ford dealers (jack madden and Rodman) didnt have the dame relays in stock.... eh pisses me off!

are you sure yours was made in chicago? i thought all CSVT's were made in the Kentucky plant. anyway. i had the same exact problem is well. my relay went out and the whole car over heated on me. They have to reflash the PCM? could you post the article of the recall or TSB so i can take it to my dealer and show them.

thanks

All Contours were made in KC, MO or Mexico. All CSVTs were made in KC, MO.

You might not need that relay!

You might not need that relay!

When the A/C is on it is the low speed fan. Both radiator fan motors run together. Check waterpump. With A/C off fan triggers to low speed at about M on temp gauge.

Besides, the relay isn't what usually fails in the low speed circuit. Usually, it's the dropping resistor that opens.

References to Contours being made in either Kentucky or Chicago are both in error.

There was no recall about anything related to this issue. There was an Owner Notification Program (ONP - which is NOT a recall) issued in 98, 98B30, that concerned vehicles produced between certain dates that allowed for a free reflash of the PCM for vehicles exhibiting a certain symptom. That ONP with its free reflash expired on April 30th, 1999. ONP 98B30 concerned vehicles in which the cooling fans remained on after the vehicle had been shut down. TSB 98-19-4 also addressed this issue and called for the replacement of the fan relay in addition to the PCM recalibration. If you were to want the PCM recalibrated anyway, you'd have to pay for it.

As pointed out, if your fans run when the A/C is on, your low speed circuit is working properly.

I would submit that you may have misdiagnosed the fault and have been barking up the wrong tree....

If you want copies of either the ONP or TSB, let me know and I'll make them avaialble.

Steve

Back