• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please Read.....desperate!

limeyscott

CEG'er
My 00 svt has an issue. Before you all start, yes I have searched and exhausted all my options. The car idles fine.....until you blip the throttle. It will then rev up to 2k rpm and stay there for 5-10 seconds and then drop back to 1000 rpm. It will remain there until you touch the throttle again at which time it will do the same thing again. Also, when it is is idleing at a "somewhat" normal level......which seems to be about 1000 ( yes I know that too is high) it surges between 1000 and 1100 rpms.

I have changed the iac three times, throttle position sensor and maf. I have cleaned out the throttle body, EGR passages etc. I have replaced the UIM LIM gaskets as well as egr iac and tb gaskets. I have checked the alternator (per a post I found) and checked for vacuum leaks.

Now the technical stuff. Long and short term fuel trim seems to go up and down with the idle....BUT is negative pretty much all the time. This tells me there is no vacuum leak since the engine is trying to "lean out" the mixture (subtract fuel) which is the opposite of what would happen in a vacuum leak situation.

I have searched identifix.....a national vehicle fix database and come up with nothing. I have searched these forums and have nothing.......Somebody, please help as I have 6 hours in this diagnosis and am at my wits end.

I have this some problem, I will let you know if I come accross anything; please let me know if you do as well.

Also what does your fuel guage say? Meaning does it register right or is it on e and the fuel light is on?

It is reading normally. There are no other problems that I am aware of.......but this did occur shortly after doing a fuel system cleaning but don't think it is related.

Try disconnecting the PCV valve and blocking the vacuum hose off. I had an idling problem (not the same as you describe) and this fixed it. If it fixes it then replace the valve.

It is reading normally. There are no other problems that I am aware of.......but this did occur shortly after doing a fuel system cleaning but don't think it is related.

Well I just finished my 3L install using joey's lim and fuel block adapter. Before I start my car it shows between E and 1/4 of a tank (which is correct) then when I start my car it drops down to E with the gas light on. Then surges like it is running out of gas or a vaccum leak; I havent be able to test all the things you did but I have the same things happening.

My guess is something with the fuel of some sort, if I can't resolve to issue soon I am going to take it to a local shop.

Sorry - thats all I can think of.
Stabbing in the dark, is it possible one of your injectors is playing up, or maybe fuel regulator or something like that? I really don't know much (anything) about the fuel system so I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Fuel system I think is where I am going next.....came across a strange problem with a crown vic once which required all the injectors be replaced. Would never have thought it.......the borg warner tech line came up with it.

Edit: I was gonna say clean EGR....or IAC..think about it... Idle Air Control?

Maybe your throttle wire is loose or hangin-up or something. Hey ya never know. But Im sure you'd feel that in the pedal...

Maybe disconnect the battery for giggles/or pull the fuses to reset the PCM in an effort to clear some codes. what # 4 and #10 or somethin....I can't remember....

wiggle the harness's on the MAF? maybe its not touching....

yank the air filter and try starting it or somethin....change the TPS back...

Take a break and stay positive.

Last edited:
If it is too rich, as your scanner is indicating, you may have engine oil that is loaded with fuel and upsetting the A/F ratio. You may also have an injector that is sticking (not fully closing). Have you tried cleaning the injectors?

And, as someone else mentioned, reset the adaptive strategy by dumping the PCM adaptive strategy memory. You can do that by disconnecting the battery for about five minutes, or by removing the PCM fuses for a few minutes.

I think you will find an injector sticking.

If it is too rich, as your scanner is indicating, you may have engine oil that is loaded with fuel and upsetting the A/F ratio. You may also have an injector that is sticking (not fully closing). Have you tried cleaning the injectors?

And, as someone else mentioned, reset the adaptive strategy by dumping the PCM adaptive strategy memory. You can do that by disconnecting the battery for about five minutes, or by removing the PCM fuses for a few minutes.

I think you will find an injector sticking.

Injectors is the one I am going to cover tomorrow......though my mind is battleing the fact that only one sticking injector would cause rich condition on one bank only.....not both. Have already cleared the pcm and KAM and done a complete relearn to no avail..........and as mentioned before I have done a fuel system cleaning and also changed the oil. Let you all know on the injectors.

all I can suggest is try replacing the IAc with a new unit from Ford. cleaning the IAC doesn't aways work or work for that long, better off just replacing it as that sounds like what the problem is.

all I can suggest is try replacing the IAc with a new unit from Ford. cleaning the IAC doesn't aways work or work for that long, better off just replacing it as that sounds like what the problem is.

Have fitted a new borg warner and subbed in my ford oe (fairly new) from my other svt......no change.

Does the car have an optimized TB? I know my car hangs a little bit coming off of highways. Usually a blip of the throttle fixes it though. Maybe swap the TB from your other SVT. Or see if you can see light though the throttle plate.

Does the car have an optimized TB? I know my car hangs a little bit coming off of highways. Usually a blip of the throttle fixes it though. Maybe swap the TB from your other SVT. Or see if you can see light though the throttle plate.

Not optimized......and tried the throttle body from other car. The problem only happens when you blip the throttle........if you stay off the throttle it is fine.

Does your scan tool show snapshot information? I suggest you watch it closely as you slowly open and close the throttle. I suspect a dead spot or spike in one of your sensors.

Snapshot should also let you see the IAC position. It's possible that the IAC valve is working correctly (as you've already tried several), but it isn't getting the proper signal from the ECU. The IAC position command is dependent on many factors, including Engine Coolant Temp, Throttle Position, RPM, and Vehicle Speed. Pay close attention to the output of all of those sensors.

Heres a twist......unplug the IAC and the problem still exists........
Measured the signal coming from PCM to IAC (with motor plugged in) and the voltage drops with the increase in rpm's....once the idle goes back down, the voltage goes back up.

Checked all readings on scanner and nothing out of the ordinary is showing. ECT TPS RPM's VSS all showing correct readings.

This all leads me to believe that the pcm is asking the engine to do this.......but the cause of that now is the mystery. Thinking about sending to ford for a reflash of the PCM........at least rule that out.

Back