• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre 98 Trunk w/ Lip spoiler

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
Would like some opinions on what may be causing my problem.

I got a pre 98 trunk lid with lip spoiler and supporting brake lights at the junk yard. At this point my car has a factory spoiler and trunk lid. Now I decided to test fit it on my car today, but I had a problem having it fit flush.

On one Side it is okay but really needs to be raised up, up towards the window to fit flush, That would be on the driverside. For the big problem. On the Pass. Side the trunk lid sits up higher then the fender about 1/8-1/4" . However when I push down on it, it will end up being flush. It almost seems like the weather stripping is pushing it back up.

After re thinking it I thought I may be the stock "Spoiler struts" having extra force and pushing it up that bit when its closed. I PM The Five Oh because he made the same switch, however he didnt have to change his struts and he had no problems.

so I wanted to get check with you guys to see if I am missing anything. Hopfully we can iron this out.

FWIW I would like to be able to switch trunk lids back, so I wont want to alter the car itself.

100_1552.jpg

100_1551.jpg

100_1550.jpg

100_1549.jpg

Last edited:
I'd recommend loosening the trunk lid bolts from inside, with the seats folded down, while someone is outside the car adjusting the alignment.

Keep the latch of the trunk locked into the car while doing it. You should be able to get a much better alignment like that.

You also need some new Pre-98 tails. The 98-00 tails will play tricks with your eyes trying to get the alignment right in the tail area.

Thank you for the comment, but will this help with the up and down alignment of the decklid? This is more of an issue of the decklid being raised up. Thanks

Thank you for the comment, but will this help with the up and down alignment of the decklid? This is more of an issue of the decklid being raised up. Thanks

It should help a little bit once the hinge arms are released of any tension. Hard to explain....

For example, the drivers side was tightened down in a spot that looked to be aligned good. After comparing the two sides, you notice the passenger side has too much of a gap, so you loosen those bolts and pull it over to the passenger side while leaving the drivers side tight. It creates a lot of tension on the hinge arms doing wierd things with the overall alignment of the lid.

Unfortunately though, you may find you'll have to adjust the hinge arms. Sometimes it's just necessary to get the alignment right when throwing on parts from another car. My stock lined up perfect no matter what, but my Pre-98 was a little tricky, along with another 98-00 lid. It wasn't the year difference, it was just parts not perfectly fitted to your cars setup.

thanks makes sense, it might be just tweeking it like you said. Ill have to give it another shot, also have to find a painter.

ALright, I finally go it fitted perfect thanks to CSVT1214 input. Thanks man. The crappy thing is I went to get a couple estimates today both being $500! I suppose Ill have a trunklid sitting around for a while. I dont see it being so expensive.....

[rant] One lady that did the estimate saw two dig marks that were down to the metal and asked if i wanted that fixed i said yes. On the estimate it was 2 hrs labor just for that. Come on, skim coat that bish and be over with it.

need less to say one place said $500 the other $488. The place that est. $488 wrote 8.5 hrs labor....psh [/done with rant]

tell me about it, but i think they are able to do it because auto insurance cost are so high out here, and are able to get $$$ from the company at that rate. I get no love for paying out of pocket. Apparently they think I have cactus that grows money or something.

Its a trunk lid! :mad:

When I got mine painted a couple years ago from midnight red to silver frost, it cost me $200 I think. I know it's been a couple years and you're in Vegas, but $500 seems steep to me.

Back