• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car wont turn over..just a click.

98se

Be Gentle I'm New Here
First off, hi, I am new. Never really had a problem with my contour, but am now, and found this place via a web search. Yes I did a search and read lots of stuff, but none of it seems to apply directly to my situations...so here goes.
98 SE, 127xxx miles 5sp. Intermittent trouble starting. No crank, just nothing but a click when you turn the key. Happened very infrequently. Started to happen more and more often. Then just would not start at all. I was having to push start it every where I went [5sp]. Anyhow, didn’t think it would help but went ahead and changed the starter. Worked great for a couple of days, now the same thing...wont turn over, just a click??? I really dont know what to do, my mechanical ability was at its limit with putting on a new starter. The car has no rust and just about perfect interior, with 4 new tires...so i hate to just donate to charity or something when i figure if i could get it to start it would get maybe a grand for it. Runs great once you push it :). Anyhow, anyone have any ideas??? I really appreciate any help.

98se

It sounds as though the starter motor is knackered, this can be intermittent as you are finding (assuming you have full battery power)

I tried that

I tried that

I replaced the starter about 2 weeks ago...no luck. I supose that i could have put in a bad one..but what would the odds be on that? I am guessing it is electrical..but who knows.

98se

Have you checked your battery and altenator? Usually a clicking noise indicates a dieing or low battery.

If you've recently put in a new battery or your battery dies often, then it may not be getting a proper charge from the alt. Have both tested at a parts store if you can.

Welcome.

Besides all those above mentioned checks, also check wiring from Battery to ground (especially the one which goes under the battery tray), battery to starter.

A bad key ignition cylinder could also cause intermittent starting problems.

also check to see if your lights are dimming when you engage the starter...if the lights don't dim, then no power is flowing to the starter, which probably means a bad solenoid or connection. If you find that the lights dim, then it is most probably the battery or a battery connection. If the battery is low/bad you can get that checked out at an auto-parts store to see if it is the alternator or the battery...

you could also check the voltage on the battery and observe the drop....

if all else fails, i'm looking for a Contour project... :)

A single click sounds like the starter motor (or bushings) like mentioned before. Multiple clicking is the solenoid going in and out from low voltage (i.e. dead battery).

Reason it would still click and not turn is because there is a solenoid on the starter that moves the starter gear to mesh with the teeth on the flywheel.

If the motor is bad, but the solenoid is good, it will move the starter gear into position, but nothing will happen. This is your single "CLICK" noise.

Is is a NEW starter (i.e. Motorcraft or equivalent) or a 'new' starter (Duralast or whatever). Most part stores refurbish starters/alternators, and only replace what was bad to begin with.

So say a guy brings in a starter off a 200,000 mile car with a bad solenoid. They send it in to be repaired with a new solenoid, they make sure it works on the bench and send it to the store. All good in the hood, right?

Well, problem is, other than the solenoid, it's still a 200k mile starter and the motor/bushings/bearings could be worn out and causing intermittent no-start.

Just FYI.

Double check the battery, or with all that at stake get a new one. At least remove battery connections clean inside and out, and examine wiring for breaks.

All thru the years, just a click meant dead battery.

Mike

Thanks for the advice..

Thanks for the advice..

great ideas fellas...i have been at work all weekend, so no chance to work on the car. As for the battery, it is pretty new, and appears to have good juice, so i doubt that is the problem...it could be the starter..but what are the odds that the old starter and the new starter had the same intermitent starting problem..leaning towards not at all lately??? As for relays and such...are those difficult to change? I know that nothing on cars is beyond doing if you have enough time, but the wife is growing tired of the paper wight in the driveway. She says i should just donate it to charity and get the 300 in tax break. What is the market for great condition outside/inside, non-starting cars :). Guess i will recheck the connections. Anyone think i should take it to ford, get it fixed then sell it??? man, cars that dont work suck!!!

98se

I also recommend trying a new battery (after first cleaning batt connections, checking the wiring, and retesting the old one).

Even if a battery is fairly new and appears good it may not be able to put out the current needed. I have experienced a fairly new (several month old) battery that appeared to be fully charged (I put the charger on it until it drew 0 amps) but ended up being bad. Also, batteries are fairly cheap and are easy to install.

I keep reading the words "appear" and "seem" from the OP..

Batteries "appearing" to be good aren't CHECKED good. Fuses don't "seem" to check out fine.. they are tested.

Battery test: place it on a trickle charger at night and leave it over night. Use a voltmeter to test voltage.. should be at 12.0Vdc or higher. If it isn't.. toss it and get a new one (or warranty return it, etc)

if 12.0Vdc or higher, install in the car and retest starter movement.

As for fuses, they are TESTED with an ohmeter (or the OHMS function of a multimeter). should be close to nil or 0 ohms.. anything higher (period) and they are bad.

Don't give up...starter problems are generally easy to troubleshoot with a basic understanding of electricity...

Hang in there!

Post your test results and we will help you track down the problem...

Back