• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Today's Trannie Swap

No need to get all testy, guys! I agree with avoiding the subframe. Both of my bolts stripped, and it was a huge PITA to fix it, because this was before I knew any CEG'ers and had only my mechanic...Cut an access hole in the frame and tightened the bolt manually. :shrug:

I'm going to start doing my future work out the top. MI cars are very prone to broken SF bolts. Just pulled the SF out of my black car. Back 2 bolts were not coming out the normal way. 1 snapped and the other spun inside. I can pull a motor just as fast and the trans. is easier to put back on the engine too.

I'm going to start doing my future work out the top. MI cars are very prone to broken SF bolts. Just pulled the SF out of my black car. Back 2 bolts were not coming out the normal way. 1 snapped and the other spun inside. I can pull a motor just as fast and the trans. is easier to put back on the engine too.

True true Todd. I don't want to drop the subframe on a car that I don't know about. I might do it on my own car that I know has been apart many times, but it is so dang quick to just pull it all when you know what you are doing. I bet you are really quick by now too Todd. You're probably just as good at pulling a motor as you are at posting! :laugh:

Like what??
OWNED-1.gif

i found a couple good ones that one made me laugh too.
thanks for being the goober i got to use it on:laugh:

you took the hood and front bumber just to remove the engine and tranny? thats a lot of work.

not really. 8 and 10mm sockets, a phillips and flat screwdriver and a small Torx bit plus 10 minutes and I can have the bumper, headlights and hood off.

Is out the top the easiest way to do it? Im gonna be doing my trans here in a few months too. Just got my fresh BAT trans back from Terry, with a few additions. :cool: Cant wait to throw it in.
-tropictour

wow i miss a few days and this all happens..... jeff and i talked about pulling it out of the top. i prefere taking it out the top on mine because everything thats in the way on most cars arent there anymore. no A/C, no battery, no A/C hoses. this is what made mine a 3 hour pull and disassembly. with mikes the car was stock so we took more time but it was worth it.

you took the hood and front bumber just to remove the engine and tranny? thats a lot of work.

You, my friend, need to stick to stuff you know. Like boss said, 10 minutes is all it takes and having the bumper off makes it alot easier. I don't like leaning over or droping tools on a bumper either. The headlights obviously come off before the bumper, so that is why I take those off as well. This was the first swap that I actually took the hood off when pulling the engine. I was doing this one in the garage as opposed to in the driveway, and so I needed all the light I could get. The hood created a shadow over the whole eninge bay because of where the light was positioned in the garage ceiling.

Is out the top the easiest way to do it? Im gonna be doing my trans here in a few months too. Just got my fresh BAT trans back from Terry, with a few additions. :cool: Cant wait to throw it in.
-tropictour

When you order the upgrades and they send the trans to Terry, do you also have to pay for shipping to him, or just for the upgrades? How much time does it add to the order until it gets to you?

Back