• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VSS/Speedometer/nonshifting problem

mrutkaus

CEG'er
Wow so much good information here, so glad to find it. 11/94 V6 mystique auto with much the same symptoms as described for VSS problems in this forum: bumping speedo needle which finally stayed at zero, clunky shifting, rough running/missing, low power.

So, after reading stuff here, ordered a VSS (the kind where speedo cable goes into the VSS), be here next week.

But also, noticed speedocable broken where it enters the "upper" cable near the brake booster.

Question to the intelligensia: What is the typical early '95 (before 2/1/95) VSS failure?

I can see that if something is stuck/jammed INSIDE the VSS, it could cause both cable breakage and the electronic sensor problems, but obviously just a broken cable would not affect the other job of the VSS, or would it?

Thanks,

Mike
Winchester VA

...Question to the intelligensia: What is the typical early '95 (before 2/1/95) VSS failure?

I can see that if something is stuck/jammed INSIDE the VSS, it could cause both cable breakage and the electronic sensor problems, but obviously just a broken cable would not affect the other job of the VSS, or would it?
Typical early 95 VSS failure is actually cable failure (broken cable). While at this time, the VSS being 12 (maybe 13 years), it could also be broken (non shifting symptoms).

Thanks Tony, so does the cable failure somehow affect the transmission/engine/computer?

Mike

It just seemed so odd that the shifting/rough running was directly correlated in time with the jumping speedometer needle. And the final event was no needle movement at all and at that point the symptoms increased to no OD.

Thanks

Thanks Tony, so does the cable failure somehow affect the transmission/engine/computer?

Mike
Cable failure should not. It should only affect the speedometer. Check the cable first. Open up the hood and see if it is broken. If not, then it is probably the VSS.

Edit. Check connector behind instrument panel. Make sure it is plugged in well.
Instrument Panel R and R

In addition, it could be the VSS or VSS connector. Note that the part number might be different as yours is an early 1995 model.
VSS thread

Last edited:
Any hints on the one-handed removal of the VSS triangular connector? Don't see a similar one on the car to compare it with, does it pull straight out or is there some sort of a latch?

Thanks,

Mike

Got it figured out

Got it figured out

OK, took me 3 days off and on with your help but I figured out how broken speedometer cable at junction before firewall screwed up 11/94 CD4E VSS:

Speedometer cable broke inside sheathing, frayed wildly near white connector where it connects to the "upper" cable which goes into the speedometer.

This friction of a broken, twisted cable at a sharp bend near the firewall broke the very short (1.5 inches?) cable that goes directly from the brown gear inside the transmission to the working part of the VSS (don't forget this is the type of VSS wherein the speedometer cable screws and is moved thru the VSS by the transmission gear).

So although the gear inside the transmission was turning it was not conveying motion to either the moving parts of the VSS to send a signal nor of course to the speedometer cable to move the speedometer (which was broken at the top anyway).

That is how the bumping then stopping speedometer needle in the pre 2/1/95 2.5L Mystique automatic caused the shifting/clunking problems which I learned here are characteristic of VSS failure.

Couldn't have done it without you.

Mike
Winchester VA

PS Released VSS connector from underneath using long screwdriver; it was and remains tied to big thick wiring harness. Pulled VSS and speedometer cable down thru bottom of car. Hope to replace it the same way! I do need a new brown gear as I broke the old one trying to get the broken piece of cable out of it.

Back