• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't beat me

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Well I'm no bad ass, not a god, not smart, but feeling it sorta :)

Matt R came down last week for LCA install, swaybar links, lower timing cover replacement. When he got into newport rear wheels making noise, RR wheel locked. But before I even got into the rear brakes did the LCAs and links plus timing cover, greased pads and pins. Go to move it and the pedal dropped right out. Hit it again and fine.... Drive off, go threw the stop sign hit it again and almost full pedal. So had to hit it twice everytime to stop the damn thing. Went back to it the next day and replace everything on the rear drums because it needed it, from hardware to wheel cyl and drum because I couldn't cut it, was just about out of spec and would be once I finished turning it down.. Pointed out the ripped axle (not that it mattered about the brakes) and the metal line that runs from the heater core to the radiator about to snap. But anyway, bleed the system like crazy and still same thing... I couldn't let him drive back home with it like that, and told him he has no option but to take my contour, and I will keep his and get the brakes working.

Master cyl did show some signs of a leak at the booster but that didn't fix it (ah 60 bucks) put the drums so tight they wouldn't turn (just a test) didn't help.... bleed it 7 more times nothing... Even used the scanner to do the ABS bleed nothing... Talking to Matt he had a bad pedal for a few months now and the shop wanted to do rear brake work (done) so not the problem.. The did get the pedal better but he still wasn't happy and now it was even worse.....

Techs start telling me things I tried and check, and then I come across info that list the problem I was having to the "T" with only one know cause. Stuck brake pads lol and sure enough after I got in there and cleaned the slides down to bare metal, and greased it the system is 200% Now going to shop to do the axles and water tube to heater core. Although almost afraid to touch it :)

So were the stuck pads/shoes on the front or rear? It sounds like it was the rears. Anyway doesn't suck when things snowball and you end up doing a lot more work than expected? It is a pain but sometimes you just gotta stick with it until it's all resolved.

Good to hear it all worked out.

good work!
Doesn't surprise me that you lent him your car.
You so nice.

Sometimes :)

CTmystique it was the front pads, car has rear drums. Inbound pads saying put while caliper piston pulled away slowly, so by the next brake application it would go to the floor again (this was pushing the caliper piston to pad) then second applicatoin firm pedal (because piston was now contacting, sorta like a shoe adjustment but with shoes the pedal would always travel the same regardless of pumping. It is a rare thing to have happen. I told Matt R that I'm not letting the contour go until it is 100%.

Got his axles in and the cooling line tube that runs from lower radiator hose to heater core, went pretty smooth so that was a plus. :) Now my sisters 2000 mustang 3.8L is stuck at the shop with a major coolant leak lol have to wait to get the line that runs from water pump to heatercore. But no car work for the next 2 days, need to relax.

Matt R hooked me up with the LED conversion, so can't wait to get me tour back ;)

WOW! That's dedication. I'm glad you were able to isolate the problem! Definitely sounds like you have your work cut out for you there.

Nice thing about it is if I ever get a auto at work that does the samething I'll have something to check. Even the other techs never heard of stuck brake pads. I got damn lucky I'm came across that info on the web.

WOW! That's dedication. I'm glad you were able to isolate the problem! Definitely sounds like you have your work cut out for you there.

Jeremy is the best!!! He definitely put an unbelievable amount of dedication and work into it. And he didn't have to let me take his car, but he did anyways. He's the man! :)

Jeremy is the best!!! He definitely put an unbelievable amount of dedication and work into it. And he didn't have to let me take his car, but he did anyways. He's the man! :)

Ah I just don't do that for anyone, just people I trust. Which is just about everyone from NECEG. The rest was just luck on the info I found... And hell with all the bad luck thats been my way I think I'm intitled to some good here and there...

Good look'n out on the LED conversion looks awesome, and big thanks on cleaning the inside, looks like a new car now :) Didn't know there was a dashboard under that dust.

Got the indioglow gauges back on so I can see my speed at night. Damn color selector doesn't work so now I got green background with red needles just intime for xmas lol

Enjoy your ride :)

I still cant find my LEDs and my soldering iron from when i moved.
:(
i started the conversion with an extra HVAC control and now i have no clue where any of it went.

So send them to me Elky. :p Common I gotta pay off all these car parts!
how can i send them to you if i can't find them?
they disappeared (or are at least hiding real well) during the trip from my old house to my new house.
:(

Exactly how often do you drive your car during the winter? :p Just pop off your original window switches and mail them.

Just kidding, especially if you had LEDs that were colors other than red/blue/white, (are you into pink?), but I think it's safe if the car is sitting anyway :)

Last edited:
but i cant find the LEDs
i have about 300 of them somewhere...

and to answer your question..i don't drive it in the winter...heck i only put 2300 miles on it this year.

Good Lord man! I bought mine with 83466 and have ~90400 on it now, between September - November!

(Plus 108K on the Maxima -- 8K since mid July)

Back