• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 Mercury Mystique

Hammy

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Can anyone provide any solutions for me. I don't know a lot about cars. My 98 Mystique is having some issues. While driving at a constant speed, my car will suddenly buck and the rpm's will spike about 1000 rpm's. It will do that for a bit, then buck again and dropThis happens continually on the same trip. It does not do this all the time, seems to be every couple of days. The temperature guage remains constant, no lights appear on the dash. I have had it to two different garages. Of course, the car didn't do anything goofy while a mechanic was driving it. The first one found moisture in one of the engine cylinders and the ignition wires were replaced. It was fine for 3 days then did it again. The second garage changed the IAC and while the car only did the buck once on my 35km drive home, I don't have much faith that this is the end of my problems. The car has had a recent oil change, air filters were replaced. The garage tells me no error codes are showing up to pinpoint the problem. There are no issues with the car stalling or even idling rough. Any ideas???

Welcome :) . I take it you have an automatic. How many kms on the car? When was the last time you changed the ATFFluid? If more than 2 years/40K kms, than change the ATFluid and see if it helps.

In addition, it sounds like you have a Vehicle Speed Sensor issue. What is the speedometer doing when the rpms change. Does the VSS go crazy?
Also check the VSS connector and wiring from the VSS to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM is located under the Power Steering fluid reservoir next to the passenger side strut tower.

Edit. ATFluid change how to.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Read this thread on VSS
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1816&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks

Tony

Thank you for the quick response. Car issues make me insane. Yes the car is 6cyl. automatic. I've only had the vehicle for 6 months now but I have not changed the AT fluid in the time i've owned it. It has about 165km's on it. The speedometer stays at a constant speed, no fluctuation while the tac jumps. It's cost me just over $600 already and again tonight on my way to work it acted up. It happened only 2 separate times which is an improvement from the other times it's done this, but obviously it's not acceptable.

Thanks

Thanks

Tony

Thank you for the quick response. Car issues make me insane. Yes the car is 6cyl. automatic. I've only had the vehicle for 6 months now but I have not changed the AT fluid in the time i've owned it. It has about 165km's on it. The speedometer stays at a constant speed, no fluctuation while the tac jumps. It's cost me just over $600 already and again tonight on my way to work it acted up. It happened only 2 separate times which is an improvement from the other times it's done this, but obviously it's not acceptable.

I have a car like yours! Check the battery and its connections, and scan the OBD codes. The voltage should be about 12.6 after you ran the car, 13.8-14.4 while it's running with no accessories on. Sometimes the alternator can fail, which will cause a low battery charge, but the red battery light will flicker on. Alos, if the a/c is on but low on refrigerant, the engine will revup to engage compressor and disengage immediately, although I don't think it would rev up 1000 rpm.

Last edited:
i have the same car,

what you want to do is replace all the problem parts now, alternator is going to go on you if you're not careful, and so will the tranny so have the fluid changed, preferably with full synethic or mercon V (believed to be synthetic), you also want to stay on top of your oil changes, keep an eye on your suspension, and find out when your sparkplugs were last changed,

read the maintenece forums, more specifically the FAQ to further help you out. Enjoy.

Back