• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT with Eibachs Suggestions For Winter

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
I live in Michigan and I have a SVT with eibach lowering springs and I wanted to know what people with similar setups do for the winter. Getting a winter car is out of the question because we already have five cars at my house. I was thinking of getting snow tires just for the the front or do I need four. Will these even help? Is there anything else I can do for my car, for the winter.

Uhm.. if you have 5 cars.. couldn't you drive one of those in the winter?

Uhm.. if you have 5 cars.. couldn't you drive one of those in the winter?
It doesn't sound like he owns the other cars.
I had a similar situation - when I lived at home, my parents have 3 cars, my sister and I had one each. The driveway is literally full when we're all home, even with the L-turnaround my parents added while I was in college.

To the OP: Good snow tires are your friend. If the snow is too high, don't go out until it's decently plowed. And clear out your wheel wells once you arrive at your destination, so that the snow there doesn't melt and refreeze into ice.

this is why ill wait and save for coilovers! especially if youve got a mirko, you dont want to plow your street do you? aha

why would leave a mirko on for the winter :confused: :help:

I am sure there are many here that have driven in the winter with a lowered car, get a goot set of snow tires, this means four snow tires, need equal grip on all corners, and you should be fine. Oh and wait if you can for the roads to be cleared before going out.

I'm on Eibachs and have no troubles in the winter. My car's even lower in winter since my snow tires have a 60 sidewall.. they flex more.

The only time I've gotten stuck was when I tried to go through almost a foot of drifted snow :rolleyes:

I never had a problem with a lowered SVT. Any decent all season tires and a smart driver will be fine. If your a stupid driver, even the best snow tires and awd aren't gonna save your butt. Just don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. I hate those friggers who drive like crap in the snow because they think it is fun and then they hit your nice car and they don't care because they drive an ugly craptastic car that is already beat up in the same spot they hit you. :mad:

Driven on Eibach's and BAT springs through many MI winters. No problems here. Snow tires own.

definitely go with the snow tires. All four.
Take your time driving, don't rush to get somewhere by a certain time.
Contours are a lot of fun in the snow, even if they're lowered.

Snow Tires FTW!

I was driving cross country in late 2004 with summer only tires (Kumho Ecsta 710s) and got caught up in snow in Montana off the Interstate. SVT motored along still (even up a 6% grade where Semis were passing me cause I only had enough traction to do 30MPH tops) and only got stuck when I got into town on a plowed road and tried to turn onto an unplowed road (all the snow in a pile along the intersection). Was stuck until the car melted it's way through the snow and I got traction.

Next time was in late 2005 with summer tires again (this time some crappy Coopers) and I got stuck in Wyoming at around 7,000ft going over the 7,550ft South Pass over the Continental Divide. Had to have a park ranger pull me over the top with a chain. In the meanwhile, my dad's rental 2006 Cadillac had no problems with all season tires.

So yeah... Snow Tires FTW! And no, still don't have snow tires for the SVT... Other 2 cars do!

Back