• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rotary SVT

Uh, ok first of all I'm talking about the earlier rotaries, not the Renesis, second, I'm not talking about horsepower, which is why I said torque, more specifically, low end torque. I could be wrong and I am by no means an expert on anything rotary or RX-7 including the weight, I'm just thinking that a 3L would put out way better hp/tq in a much easier swap. So calm down about your friends with 11ty billion hp rotaries, since that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, now if you could show me some good tq numbers for all the different gens, or find out which engine this guy is supposedly running, I might learn something and be better educated next time. Just a thought.

Low numbers a rotory puts out?! My rx7 put down 460 rwhp. Thats pretty descent considering the weight of the motor.

i just dont understand why they would go to the trouble of putting a rotary in this.
I mean, rx7 people have been known to put LS1's in their cars because its just so much easier to put down big numbers and have it remain reliable (i'm not an rx7 guy, however I know a guy that puts ls1s in them, so I just go by what he says... so I guess you can take my comment with a grain of salt... ha i guess thats how this thread got started anyways.)

yeah... a guy up here i see at the speed way all the time has a rx-7 2nd gen with a nice beefy 350 in it that runs 11's i think.. maybe 10's.. cant remember lol.. but it has chrome fenders.. pretty nifty! :D

Haha.....all I gotta say is yeah right kid.... Get some new friends.

Well, here is one of my friends LS1 RX-7. Verified 12 second car with no suspension setup or tuning. I personally ran a 13.3 and missed 3rd gear on the up shift. He is making it into a National level EM AutoX car. I have also driven it in AutoX and holy crap does it scoot.

The LS1 fits better in an FC than the rotary did. It also fits better in the FC than it does in the Camero. In the FC you don't have to drop the engine to change all the spark plugs. Since the LS1 is all aluminium it only weighs 50lbs more than the turbo motor it replaced.

http://www.bobbyjasan.com/project/89rx7/89rx7.asp

Why does it seem that that car should be running faster than twelves with such a big engine in it?:ponder:

regardless of which RX7 engine has the biggest set of balls, I think we're all pretty sure there isn't one in a contour.

Im with others also. I wont believe it until I see it. Which apparently we never will. So therefore I dont believe it.:D

Why does it seem that that car should be running faster than twelves with such a big engine in it?:ponder:

Im with others also. I wont believe it until I see it. Which apparently we never will. So therefore I dont believe it.:D

-3 degrees negative camber front and rear. Worn out AutoX tires and not drag tires. 1st time to the track with the car with a bad alternator. The car was not made to be a drag car. With proper setup it should run 10's.

Come on, I know we can hit 5 pages!!!

Someone at least do a really bad job of photoshopping a rotary in a Contour. Won't someone think of the children?

Guys, I found a picture of a Contour with a Rotary. It is actually a TII motor. I think this picture should settle the argument once and for all. It fits very well and was even converted to rear wheel drive.

contourrx7.jpg

-3 degrees negative camber front and rear. Worn out AutoX tires and not drag tires. 1st time to the track with the car with a bad alternator. The car was not made to be a drag car. With proper setup it should run 10's.

I don't care how much tunning he needs, a stock LS1 in an second gen RX7 WILL NOT run 10s. To shave 2 seconds off those times will take hundres more HP, not "just tunning". Do you have any idea what it takes to get a car into the 10s? Don't be throwing around these numbers like it's nothing!

I don't care how much tunning he needs, a stock LS1 in an second gen RX7 WILL NOT run 10s. To shave 2 seconds off those times will take hundres more HP, not "just tunning". Do you have any idea what it takes to get a car into the 10s? Don't be throwing around these numbers like it's nothing!

The car weighs ~2000lbs and is currently running low 12's. AutoX tires are about the worst tire for drag racing. Changing to drag tires alone would greatly help with launch traction and put the car into the 11's. I agree that it would take more than chassis setup and tuning to put that car into the 10's.

Besides, it is a freaking Internet Car forum. WTF do you care? Is the fact that I exaggerated the 1/4 time potential for that car going to bring the whole Internet to a hault? I have no problem with criticism or contradiction of comments. I do have problems when people make Ass Hat insults while doing so.

Well, here is one of my friends LS1 RX-7. Verified 12 second car with no suspension setup or tuning. I personally ran a 13.3 and missed 3rd gear on the up shift. He is making it into a National level EM AutoX car. I have also driven it in AutoX and holy crap does it scoot.

The LS1 fits better in an FC than the rotary did. It also fits better in the FC than it does in the Camero. In the FC you don't have to drop the engine to change all the spark plugs. Since the LS1 is all aluminium it only weighs 50lbs more than the turbo motor it replaced.

http://www.bobbyjasan.com/project/89rx7/89rx7.asp

Ok...and? This thread isn't about your friend's rx7 with an ls1. Good for him...and your missed shift. This thread is about a "supposed" contour with a "supposed" rotary swap which is most likely not true. If it is true, then right on...but I am having a real hard time believing an ounce of it. End of story.

which is most likely not true. If it is true, then right on...but I am having a real hard time believing an ounce of it. End of story.
Im gonna claim
bs_flag.gif
on this one. Nobody has any real proof other than word of mouth from somebodys friend from their friend who got it from his brothers friend.:nonono:

Seriously though. I have this friend who saw this guys Contour with a 351 in it.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Back