• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is there a stalk amplifier in a 98 contour se?

Trust me on this, Don't buy a Sony. I had/have (I beat it with a hammer when I'm frustrated) a Sony GSX-475, which was a 4x75 amp. It overheated without fail, to the point where the circut boards were charred. Don't get me wrong, when it worked, it sounded great, but most of the time I wound up listening to my exhaust instead.

Spend the $$$ on a HIGH QUALITY AMP, not one that "claims" to have xxxWatts. It doesn't matter what it looks like it matters what it does!!! Just a bit of friendly advice from a fellow PA CEG'r. If you're unsure, PM a few of the Vets from the audio forum, or do a search for the particular amp you're interested in.

yeah i guess i shouldn't be stingy about my money i know a few people that work at a car audio place may be they can hook me up with something nice

Let's refrain from spewing racial slurs on CEG... okay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott is a great person and definately wouldn't spew a racial slur.

He maybe a pirate but he's one that you can trust :laugh:

Ummmm.....Where did I spew a racial slur?????? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're new, but I am the last person in the woprld who would use a racial slur.

You're misunderstanding.
FatDan put a racial slur in his original post.
Ray edited it and put the mod warning not to do it again. Bolded text are Ray's edits.

ok now back to stereo talk.

so if you get a new amp can you just take the stock one out and put the new one right ther?

I used that mount for a sirius tuner box mount before though, I have the pics, but their not uploaded to my webserver yet... maybe if I get time I'll upload them today. When I do my car, I'm going to use that to mount the external tuner box for my HU, hopefully it fits on the mounting, otherwise I'll just have to fab something up.

I searched, checked the read first, so I hope I didn't miss this totally\mis-read something. But do you have to bypass the factory AMP for all aftermarket HUs???

Out of curiosity (obviously I'm not a car audio expert), what are the possible problems if you don't bypass it?

1. you don't send the proper low level input to it and you have a blaring system when you turn it up to 5.... Which could result in number 2 or 2 could just happen on its own.

2. You stock amp blows and you have to bypass it anyways sometime down the road....

An aftermarket radio will be able to power your factory or after market speakers just fine, the output of an aftermarket HU is greater than than the factory amplifier. Now if you have components aftermarket speakers or something else crazy then maybe you'd want to think about also adding a 4-channel to give them sufficient power, but personally I've been running my 4 Pioneer 6x8's 4-ways off of the aftermarket JVC deck that I have.... Which should become more efficient once I get my subs, because then I can cut all bass frequencies to the interiors and they will be able to go louder without distorting! YAY!

Back