• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is there a stalk amplifier in a 98 contour se?

ok yes I'm aware I'm my spelling is a little rusty so anyways i dont know if i have premium sound how do i tell?

Have you had the stereo out before? The factory amplified cars have a certain wiring harness iirc. It should be square and it runs speaker wires down to the amp behind the glovebox. It might be just as easy to open your glovebox all the way (by taking your stuff out and pulling in the ears in the back) and visually looking for the amp. Shouldn't be too hard to spot :)

well when i riped my stereo out to put my pioneer in there where the harness that went to the stereo and another one with out and whires comeing out of it but it looks like something went there

Get down on floor of passenger side, look up under the glove box, on the firewall. If you see a silver box (not the ECU), attached to the fire wall, you have the premium system. FWIW, if you don't know which one is the ECU, it is the silver box going THROUGH the firewall.

The amp looks like this:
DSC00053.jpg

you riped apart you glove box just to show me ...thanks i fell special now
icon7.gif

anyways now for my next question could you run a 8inch or a 10 inch sub woofer from it ?

in that pic you can see on either side of the glove box theres a little rubber piece that looks like a black gear. those two rubber pieces you squeeze in and the glove box pops right out and hangs to the floor. very easy.

Not that you're not special, but I didn't rip up my glove box. That pic was in the FAQ's at the top of this forum, you know, the one's you're supposed to read first.;) It's cool, though, at least you found what you need. And FWIW, the stock amp sucks. There were a few decent one's in the classifieds if you're looking for one. The MTX would be a great buy if it's still there.

so if you get a new amp can you just take the stock one out and put the new one right ther?

You could, but it would be much safer to mount it in the trunk, then you have a short distance for the speaker wires to go. Less likely to get kicked by passengers, etc. Plus, your new amp would have to be the same size as the old one.

yes even i know that I'm getting a Sony 1000 watt for $150 i think .....

that amp is gonna cost me as much as my car
icon6.gif

Trust me on this, Don't buy a Sony. I had/have (I beat it with a hammer when I'm frustrated) a Sony GSX-475, which was a 4x75 amp. It overheated without fail, to the point where the circut boards were charred. Don't get me wrong, when it worked, it sounded great, but most of the time I wound up listening to my exhaust instead.

Spend the $$$ on a HIGH QUALITY AMP, not one that "claims" to have xxxWatts. It doesn't matter what it looks like it matters what it does!!! Just a bit of friendly advice from a fellow PA CEG'r. If you're unsure, PM a few of the Vets from the audio forum, or do a search for the particular amp you're interested in.

Back