• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Iac

8000RPM

CEG'er
my 98 csvt has a hose that goes from the air cleaner to the IAC, however there is a little container/can like plastic thing anging down from it. is that a resonator ofsome type? and it also has a hollow plastic stick that goes over the intake and holds on to right above the water pump pulley. now my buddy on his 99 svt doesn't have any of that, and just has a hose that goes directy to the valve. why is it different? if i get this hose, can i install it? would it make any difference?

Stock PCV oil seperator I believe. Some SVTs have them while others dont. My 98 SVT came with one and my 99 SVT never had one. I believe they only came on 98s.

"however there is a little container/can like plastic thing anging down from it. is that a resonator ofsome type?"
It could be the milk can resonator from pre-98s. Take a picture and post.

"and it also has a hollow plastic stick that goes over the intake and holds on to right above the water pump pulley."
This is the long pipe from the 96 moose fix. However, with the 96 moose fix, this milk can resonator should have been removed and replaced with a new accordian tube and new "S" tube. Maybe the previous owner did not purchase the 96 moose fix but just happened to find the long tube (and T) from the bagpipe fix, from the junkyard and installed it.

well, i will try to take a pic and will show you. the little can thing is attached from the bottom, the long plastic tube is attached from the side looking to the front of the car. from the back it goes towards the maf, and across goes to the iac...ok that was confusing. i don't have the moose problem, so never attempted to fix it. HOWEVER, when i run the AC, the moose is present. the car sometimes rises its rpms itself. if i am in gear and i let the gas pedal go, the compressor starts working, the moose comes on, the rpms go slightly up and thus the car accelerates itself automatically. its weird!!! and as far as i remember, it wasn't like that before i changed my AC condendor. but that was about 2.5 years ago, and i am not sure about that claim.
i will try to show pics though.

my buddy's 99 svt doesn't have any of these things listed above. instead, he has a "S" like hose that goes directly to the IAC. I have one of these (from a junk yard) but never installed it, because long ago (before i got it from the junk yard) i tried putting a regular hose there, and the car lost lots of power...and i mean lots of it. that's why i asked if this thing can cause any loss of power.

Last edited:
..., because long ago (before i got it from the junk yard) i tried putting a regular hose there, and the car lost lots of power...and i mean lots of it. that's why i asked if this thing can cause any loss of power.
An air restriction could cause loss of power.

Look at this link. Is this the resonator you are talking about? And the "S" tube, well, it is the idle air hose.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/tsb/img/TSB-96-19-5.jpg

Read this moose thread. You may need the throttle hang fix or 97 moose fix.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1year&Main=1148660&Search=true#Post1148660

Last edited:
yeah, i have red this post before. and no that's not how it looks in my car. the resonator is kinda the same. but it plugs directly to the iac, without any S shaped hose. the S shaped hose goes to the air duct. and there's the plastic stick...tell you what. i will go and take a pic in a minute. i will be right back and will try to post them...hold on.

here are some pics.

that's how i bought the car at first. lator one, i broke the 'rubber link' thing that connects the samll "S" hose/resonator/tube/iac, and that's when i tried replacing the whole thing with regular hose. i guess it was restrctive. then I found the same 'rubber link' from a junk yard and installed it (pictured) and now its the same as when i got the car. so my point is that this is not an aftermarket thing. all i know is that on the 99 svt's this entire thing is replaced by a longer "S" hose that goes from the duct directly to the IAC...right? why? can I remove all that and put that 99/00 S hose in there?

originally the clamps were not the same, but i changed them, in case you wonder about them.

Attachments

• DSC00604 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00604 (Medium).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00605 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00605 (Medium).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00606 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00606 (Medium).JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00608 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSC00608 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00610 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSC00610 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
I think you have the stock early 1998 SVT or early 1997 stock air assembly. The "96 bagpipe fix" did not have the milk can in the design. The stock design for 95 and 96 models had the milk can but not the long pipe (hence the '96 bagpipe fix" name). Then they came up with the 97 fix which was a redesigned IAC valve and a 45 degree tube from the IAC to accordian tube.

You should be fine the way it is unless it starts to moose. Then you need the new IAC valve ($80) and 45 degree hose ($15). You will also need a hose connector for the end closest to the accordian tube.

Back