• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noob question about hard shifting (ATX)

deshaundsm

New CEG'er
Hi, I have a 98 zetec and would like to end the hard shifting for good. I searched the old forums but wanted to ask a couple question myself.

1. I did a fluid change about a month ago, I planing to do it again before winter (I do a lot of hard driving). So whats better for my trans of 133k on it, High mileage ATF or Mobile 1 syn ATF.

2. I'm buying a trans cooler this friday, what style is the best and is bigger better when it comes to the trans cooler.

3. I'm ordering a TSS from ford friday, there's no codes coming up what else should I buy/look for to help the shifting problem.

Thanks in advance
Deshaun

You should also get a valve body that has been rebuilt with Sonnax valves.
This will solve lotsa problems with the CD4E.
Check the CD4E FAQ for details, and search the old forum for a supplier of the valve body.
I believe that Axiom was one supplier.

need to clarify the conditions under which the harsh shifting is occurring.

If it's only the 1-2 shift and can occur anytime, it's probably the TSS.

If it occurs only after extended driving (over 20 minutes), your valve body is worn out. If so, the cure is the VB Ziyad described along with (probably) an new torque converter. An add-on cooler will prolong the life of the replacements and the transmission itself.

Just BTDT. See my posts in the old forum (and maybe a few here in the new one).

Steve

need to clarify the conditions under which the harsh shifting is occurring.

If it's only the 1-2 shift and can occur anytime, it's probably the TSS.

If it occurs only after extended driving (over 20 minutes), your valve body is worn out. If so, the cure is the VB Ziyad described along with (probably) an new torque converter. An add-on cooler will prolong the life of the replacements and the transmission itself.

Just BTDT. See my posts in the old forum (and maybe a few here in the new one).

Steve

Its delays from P to R and D, also hard shifts when going into 1>2 only (does it all the time),the others are fine

Last edited:
Its delays from P to R and D, also hard shifts when going into 1>2 only (does it all the time),the others are fine

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/DM/CD4E.htm

Read the Sonnax info...

Bump in 2nd or 4th, soft or harsh shifts 2-4 Accumulator Piston
Soft, harsh or delayed forward engagement Forward Accumulator Piston
Soft or harsh reverse, delayed engagement Low/Reverse Accumulator Piston

I know this is gonna sound retarded. I have been hearing about the rebuilt valve bodies from the CD4E. Ive looked and I cant find a price.

What does it actually do. Sometimes my car has trouble shifting from 2 to 3rd when in drive. It kind of bucks. Ive stalled it once already by trying to push it seeing what it will do.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys

I know this is gonna sound retarded. I have been hearing about the rebuilt valve bodies from the CD4E. Ive looked and I cant find a price.

What does it actually do. Sometimes my car has trouble shifting from 2 to 3rd when in drive. It kind of bucks. Ive stalled it once already by trying to push it seeing what it will do.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys

what he said cant find much of a price on those websites, I even googled CD4E valve body, with little help.

Try axiom.. There was another dealer, but cant remember the name. Its in the old forum, though.
Try searching the old forum for axiom

Back