• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Log Home Builders?

TheMexicanJob

Banned?
My parents are planning to build a log home once our house sells, but they got the cost estimate for the plans from one company and it was WAY too high. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anyone that could help direct them towards another place. they are building on the leelanau peninsula if that matters.

They could design themselves. Cheap software out there. If they want to cut corners that's the only way. That and look at lots of pics and pickup books and magazine's.

they already paid and ahev blueprints in hand, more so they just need a builder. the house isn't anything too extravagant, but they were given the est. of $560k, which is a bit much.

Too much based on what? How much it should cost, or how much they want to spend?

Most builders, and i'm going to assume log home builders will do it the same, will give you an estimate off the top of their head based on square foot, # of stories, bathroom quantity, foundation type, etc., so if your parents have plans in hand they can probably get a verbal estimate over the phone.

I just went to a log home builders site really quick and found that they're quoting a traditional log home goes for about $100/sq.ft. + land. garages and basements are about 45$/sq.ft. Given the upper michigan area is "remote", that will possibly be a cost driver. Type of logs is a big one too. In the south they will build out of pine, and i've heard other companies won't do that.

IIRC, traditional stick built homes go for the same, of course depending on the area. West Michigan right now sucks if you're selling, but buying is great. Building never fluxuates, unless the builders are really hungry for work, which they are here.

I believe Ken Hill Log Homes is local to West Michigan. If he builds up there maybe he can give you an estimate, but if not, and assuming he's cool, he will refer you to someone good in the area.

Good luck...

When I lived in the UP we owned a 10 year old Log home. It freaking rocked!!!!!!!!!! Awesome to party in. Then they build a 2 story garage that rocked as well.

I will build a log home some day. On Ford Rd inbetween Canton and A2(ok maybe not there).

Thats the amount of info I have on that

im in my kids room building a log home right now

lincoln logs FTW

they already paid and ahev blueprints in hand, more so they just need a builder. the house isn't anything too extravagant, but they were given the est. of $560k, which is a bit much.

How many square feet are they looking at? Honestly, a brand-new, good-sized log home on the Leelanau Peninsula for $560K didn't surprise me one bit. It's not the cheapest place in Northern Michigan, that's for sure.

Talk to the people where we stay in Tenn, they have em', although smaller they might have an idea or where to direct you:idea:

Make sure they get a number of bids, but remember that lowest bid isn't always the best either. It just takes a good mixture of a quality builder with a good reputation and a good price as well. I know this is obvious and basic stuff, but just research the area and pick a builder that suits your parents price and taste.

Back