• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flu shots suck

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
So Monday morning I grab my mail from my box at work, and see a notice saying they're doing flu shots that day at the Middle School.

Sweet!! I don't need to leave the building to get one, and it's free for district employees. So I got one.....

I woke up yesterday morning with the flu. :mad: I forced myself to get up and get to work but I'm taking today off. :p

I swear, I can't win can I?

I've always been nervous about getting a flu shot for that same reason.

My company is giving them out for free next week, and I was thinking of not doing it.
I saw my doctor on Monday (I have an awful sinus infection/cold/sore throat). While I was there, he recommended I get a flu shot.
I's a skeered!

knocking on the fake wood of my desk, I haven't ever had the flu, or at least that I know of I am figure I would. I normally get a really bad cold for about a week or two right when there is a sudden weather change, like recently I have been alittle stuffy ...

knocking on the fake wood of my desk, I haven't ever had the flu, or at least that I know of I am figure I would. I normally get a really bad cold for about a week or two right when there is a sudden weather change, like recently I have been alittle stuffy ...
The same. Although my colds have definitely lessened now that I am not in highschool/college.

Never had a flu shot. Foreign objects in my skin (vaccinations, needles/blood tests, even dirt or ink) cause me to get weak and close to passing out. :blackeye: Last time I had a shot, I turned so pale after that the doctor made me lie down for 1/2 hour and drink water. So I avoid them whenever possible.

For the past 2 years, I didn't get a shot, but also for the past 2 years, I've been in the E.R. because I had it so bad.

I figured I would save myself the trouble this year and get the shot.

When I was working at a Ford dealership, I was BSing with the F&I manager, an affable guy once you got to know him. Plus, he had a walrus mustache. He recounted a story from a year or two prior to my tenure in which they'd had someone come in and give flu shots. "Wiped out the whole store," he said. "Take shot, get sick."

I think a better solution is to take the entire winter off from work, repair to South Carolina, and play golf every day. :cool:

I've never gotten a flu shot and never had the flu. I don't really get sick with anything, really. I've just been sick with herpangina twice and had pink eye once. Maybe strep throat once. Otherwise I don't even get colds...

I've never gotten a flu shot and never had the flu. I don't really get sick with anything, really. I've just been sick with herpangina twice and had pink eye once. Maybe strep throat once. Otherwise I don't even get colds...

did Scott Baio give you pink eye?

worst flu i ever had gave me a close to 105 fever...doc said just deal with it basically.

atleast i had some trippy dreams!

You can't get the flu from a flu shot. The virus contained in the vaccination is dead or extremely weakened. What happened is you already had been exposed to the virus, and just by chance, the symptoms started after you got the shot.

The only risk associated with getting the shot is having some sort of reaction. Even with an extremely bad allergic reaction, you have nurses there with SoluMedrol, epinephrine, benadryl, and plenty of other drugs to reverse the effects of the reaction. I personally get one every year, because I'd rather take the extremely small risk and get the shot then having the flu.

Last edited:
While I'd love to take your word, and I know you're an EMT, I can't count how many people I've talked to that said they have gotten flu symptoms after getting a flu shot.

Before I got my flu shot, I talked to a few co-workers and asked if they were going to get one. They said they don't get them anymore because anytime they got the shot, they were sick shortly after with flu symptoms.

I didn't believe them it at all, because like you said, the virus is dead or very weak. The nurse there even told someone asking about it, that you can't get sick from it.

Are they all experiencing the same "coincidence" that I did? I was feeling perfectly healthy that entire day and days before it. I just so happen to wake up the next morning with the exact symptoms from the last 2 times I got the flu. :confused:

Pulled from a health article about flu shots:
Systemic Reactions, which usually begin 6-12 hours after getting the flu shot, last for only 1 or 2 days, and can include fever, malaise (not feeling good), and muscle aches.

Sounds like me.

You can't get the flu from a flu shot. The virus contained in the vaccination is dead or extremely weakened. What happened is you already had been exposed to the virus, and just by chance, the symptoms started after you got the shot.

You can get a disease from any type of vaccination shot...it's rare, for the big ones like what you get as a child. but possible, and it has happened in the past.

much more common for the flu, and i've even had doctors tell me this

Are they all experiencing the same "coincidence" that I did? I was feeling perfectly healthy that entire day and days before it. I just so happen to wake up the next morning with the exact symptoms from the last 2 times I got the flu. :confused:

What you're feeling is most likely secondary to your immune system responding to the antigens in the vaccine (e.g. release of cytokines triggering inflammatory cascades and all the lovely stuff from my immunology classes). An analogy would be people on interferon for melanoma or hepatitis C getting flu-like symptoms. The good thing is that what you have ain't the flu (you're not contagious) and that you have a robust immune system (already evidenced by the fact that your MRSA is limited to countable small pockets in the superficial skin and not by a raging cellulitis). :) :) :)

Nevertheless, hope you feel better soon!

What you're feeling is most likely secondary to your immune system responding to the antigens in the vaccine (e.g. release of cytokines triggering inflammatory cascades and all the lovely stuff from my immunology classes). An analogy would be people on interferon for melanoma or hepatitis C getting flu-like symptoms. The good thing is that what you have ain't the flu (you're not contagious) and that you have a robust immune system (already evidenced by the fact that your MRSA is limited to countable small pockets in the superficial skin and not by a raging cellulitis). :) :) :)

Nevertheless, hope you feel better soon!

yeah, what he said^^^^^

Back