• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

possible tranny problem...

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Lately the car has been getting harder to get into gear every once in a while, and also when i shift, it is REALLY LOUD. It also grinds quite a bit too, doesnt matter which gear, but mostly 2, 3, and 4. i've also notied a little bit of tranny fluid on the driveway.... any ideas? Also the other night while crusing, i went to launch the car and it slipped in first and second and only got up to 30 at full throttle... i pushed the clutch in and after drifting about 1/8th of a mile, i let the clutch out and it was fine.... any help?

Sounds like the typical syncro problem. 2nd and 3rd are the worst. They always go first. Sounds like a rebuild for you tranny is instore or just get another one.

If you are grinding into each gear, you are constantly wearing down the gearing. Soon you won't even be able to take out/put in to gear. I'd get the tranny swapped out or fixed. It worth you money or you can just go ahead and take it to the scrap yard and get money for you dead car. Your choice.

Alright, I'm not constantly grinding into gears right now, its only like once every week or two, but it is kinda hard to get into gear some of the time. the least thing i wanna do is take it to the junk yard... how much do u think a tranny rebuild would cost???

you sound like you're trying to be funny and aren't good at it

i wasnt trying to sound funny. I'm taking into account wat could happen to my car if i dont get it fixed cuz i'm kinda short on money right now...

It just depends where you go. IF you aren't getting the grind always then it's not urgent but I would get it rebuilt as soon as you get the money to do so.

i'm sure i will get it rebuilt in a few months. if it doesnt get too bad, i wanna save up enough money for a better clutch and lighter flywheel also, so i hope it holds out for me.

Terry Haines rebulids cost $1400 + depending which upgrades you go with, that's without a LSD and without shipping both ways. There is as trans for sale with 70k in the classifieds I'd ask about you could probably pick up much cheaper. You can get a brand new trans from BAT for like $1200 + s/h also. How are you drifting your FWD car with a grinding tranny?

not drifting like 45+ degree angle around corners... i just 'coasted' we call that drifting here, well some of the older folks here do. I dont drift like wat ur thinking.

if you are leaking fluid I would imediately check the level, since the mtx is splash to fill on level ground you should get alittle fluid out when you pull the fill plug, if not you should be able to feel the fluid level with your finger.

might want to flush and refill but it may not do anything.

also don't launch on a stick diff, you will kill it

Lately the car has been getting harder to get into gear every once in a while, and also when i shift, it is REALLY LOUD. It also grinds quite a bit too, doesnt matter which gear, but mostly 2, 3, and 4. i've also notied a little bit of tranny fluid on the driveway.... any ideas? Also the other night while crusing, i went to launch the car and it slipped in first and second and only got up to 30 at full throttle... i pushed the clutch in and after drifting about 1/8th of a mile, i let the clutch out and it was fine.... any help?
With clutch slippage, I'd be looking at the clutch first. A bad clutch will cause the gears to clash no matter how good the synchros are. It might must need bleeding but definitely regard this as a clutch issue until you can eliminate it as the problem.
Karl

Thanks for ur input Karl, i was kinda thinking that, but i figured i'd ask the pros here. Thank you to everyone for ur input, i'm taking the car to the shop soon for it to be checked out.

Or you could just leave it alone

Or you could just leave it alone

If you are short of money, just make certain that the clutch is adjusted properly and drive it like an old man. It sounds like your clutch may not be releasing fully and that will most certainly cause grinding when shifting.

If grinding is still a problem another way to reduce grinding when shifting is to double clutch. My first car had no synchros (by design) in 1st or 2nd. I would have to clutch, shift into neutral, clutch again then shift into gear. Smooth as silk and very quiet.

Good luck

Thanks for ur input Karl, i was kinda thinking that, but i figured i'd ask the pros here. Thank you to everyone for ur input, i'm taking the car to the shop soon for it to be checked out.
Well, I was a Ford pro some years back and some things never change, even in principle, including the operation of the manual transmission.
Karl

As suggested by some of the later posts above, it sounds like the clutch is not fully engaging. Check the master/slave and line for external leaks. If it leaks, you probably should replace that component. Don't jump into the conclusion that it's bad synchros casue it probably isn't. It would be a shame froyou to drop over $2000 into a trans rebuild, only to find out that it was only a leaking master cylinder. If you are not confortable or don't know how to check the hydraulic clutch system then take it to a good transmission shop and have them chack it.

Back