• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Traction Control

Ft.WorthSVT

CEG'er
Does anyone have traction control on there svt? My 2000 does with an on off switch but I was told by svt that it was not manufactured that way?????????

Is there a particular reason why you posted in the new member area?

To answer your question... yes a few SVT's got out of the factory with traction control.

Iam trying to get my post to 50. I never post on here (CEG) but love the car and this seems like the only place i could post to get to 50.

my svt doesnt have traction control ive never needed it doesnt have enough power

you must never drive in the snow, in wet conditions or on un even roads ... my zetec in the winter will spin the wheels if I get on the gas hard enough ... and the roads are not prefectly clear

you must never drive in the snow, in wet conditions or on un even roads ... my zetec in the winter will spin the wheels if I get on the gas hard enough ... and the roads are not prefectly clear

+2. My 95 with blizzaks had a problem getting any sort of traction in 1st gear in the winter. Just spun a lot of the time....put it into second and it was fine

I partically like having the option of the T.C. because it kicks in whenever there is wheelspin like when driving in the rain. I freaked out whenever i bought the car and tried to spin the wheels just to get the T.C. light to flash and for the car to kinda bog out. So i took the car to the dealership and they were dumbfounded. It took them a couple of weeks to find that it had was equipped with T.C. so they installed a factory on/off switch. I love it.

Yes, there were very few SVT's that actually had the TC tables installed in the PCM. IIRC though, they were base tables for the regular 2.5 but seemed to work, but not effeciently, with the SVT HO motor/programming.

I think someone actually built it into the PCM once too. The details in my memory are sketchy at best on that bit of trivia.

i don't have problems with snow or ice on all seasons. 2nd gear all the way.

you cant go anywhere in my dads car in the winter with traction control turned ON! i turn it off and get much much better traction, so much that if its not turned off in the snow you cant get into my driveway!

i also blame traction/ skid control for me hitting a tree in the snow in a 4x4. i know how to kick a 4x4 into the direction i want to. the traction controls stopped me from doing so. so the car went strait! and then tree. i will never buy a car that does not have the option to turn it off. the front end body still aint strait on that car.

Last edited:
That probably stemmed from a driving style in which you "kicked" a vehicle in to the direction you wanted to go (versus slow, safe, reliable maneuvering) and much less on the traction control.

But, what do I know.. everyone's different, huh?

That probably stemmed from a driving style in which you "kicked" a vehicle in to the direction you wanted to go (versus slow, safe, reliable maneuvering) and much less on the traction control.

But, what do I know.. everyone's different, huh?

what happened was: i was driving at 25mph on snow. a snow plow just passed me and the snow became much deeper as it through snow in front of me. the 4x4 started to lift up on the snow. i knew this was not going to be good. i tried kicking it right to keep it on the road. nothing, traction control kicked in and the car kept going strait on a slight curve to the right.

dosent matter anymore, lol.

lol.. ouch.. Trees always hit back MUCH harder than you think. I am always surprised when I see them standing, still. You'd think that such a thing as this "heavy" car would completely crumble them, but they usually have nary a scratch.

its amazing, to me.

I have one of the rare SVT's with TC too. It was discovered way back in 2000 when the previous owner went to dyno the car. Personally, I turn it off. He and I added the TC switch to make it easier to turn off, rather than pulling the fuse before a dyno session.

I find that it kicks in way too soon, almost at the instant wheel slip is detected. Also, if you chirp second or third gear (supercharger helps), the TC will kick in, reduce engine power immediately, not something I am a fan of. They should have allowed the system to have a little more give before activation.

All and all, it's cool to be able to say that I have one of the only 1998's with TC (if not the only one), one of there very few SVT's in all years to have it. It makes the SVT very unique. :D

lol.. ouch.. Trees always hit back MUCH harder than you think. I am always surprised when I see them standing, still. You'd think that such a thing as this "heavy" car would completely crumble them, but they usually have nary a scratch.

its amazing, to me.

yeps just a little scratch on the tree. air bags feel like a girl slapped you in the face. i don't like them either lol:laugh:

I have one of the rare SVT's with TC too. It was discovered way back in 2000 when the previous owner went to dyno the car. Personally, I turn it off. He and I added the TC switch to make it easier to turn off, rather than pulling the fuse before a dyno session.

I find that it kicks in way too soon, almost at the instant wheel slip is detected. Also, if you chirp second or third gear (supercharger helps), the TC will kick in, reduce engine power immediately, not something I am a fan of. They should have allowed the system to have a little more give before activation.

All and all, it's cool to be able to say that I have one of the only 1998's with TC (if not the only one), one of there very few SVT's in all years to have it. It makes the SVT very unique. :D

I feel the same way. I think its pretty cool to have. I had my on off switch lnstalled at the dealer, so when ever i want to play i just turn it off.

Yes, there were very few SVT's that actually had the TC tables installed in the PCM. IIRC though, they were base tables for the regular 2.5 but seemed to work, but not effeciently, with the SVT HO motor/programming.

I think someone actually built it into the PCM once too. The details in my memory are sketchy at best on that bit of trivia.

it's built into all the pcm's, it's just off by default in *most* svt's

+2. My 95 with blizzaks had a problem getting any sort of traction in 1st gear in the winter. Just spun a lot of the time....put it into second and it was fine

when I put my steel wheels back on with el-cheap-o tires on soaked roads I couldnt get traction till 3rd gear :shocked:

Back