• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Sway bars and tyrods(tie rods?)

Massasoit

CEG'er
When I got my tires replaced the Sears guy said that the sway bars/tyrods should be replaced (which I can see, loud rattling sound going over bumps, ect). I should be able to get the parts for cheap, but I don't really want to pay all the money for them to be replaced.

Is there anyone that could help me out? I'm in MA, at the junction of MA Route 2 and I-495.

Thanks a lot,
Massasoit

When I got my tires replaced the Sears guy said that the sway bars/tyrods should be replaced (which I can see, loud rattling sound going over bumps, ect). I should be able to get the parts for cheap, but I don't really want to pay all the money for them to be replaced.

Is there anyone that could help me out? I'm in MA, at the junction of MA Route 2 and I-495.

Thanks a lot,
Massasoit

For starters, I'm sure the sway bars themselves are fine. Likely, you're looking at replacing the sway bar end links, which is normal. Tie rod wear won't normally give you the clunk you're talking about -- that's the end links. Separately, if you've got movement in the outer tie rod ends, they may be due. Any slop at the top of the wheel while cruising along? That can be an indication of inner tie rod wear.

Also, while your corralling the parts, jump on www.rockauto.com just to double check your prices against a reliable source. They're pretty competitive, and they ship fast.

If you couldn't tell, I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

If anyone could help me take a look at it, and then figure out what needs to be replaced I will be most grateful.

Yes'm. About ten minutes from the border of Harvard.

Oh yeah -- Laura's the car's name. I'll tell her you said hello. My clearing this up will save a bunch of other folks the trouble. :cool:

I don't know if I'll be up that way in the near future, but if I am, I would have no problem with looking at the end links/bushings, sway bar bushings, and outer tie rods. It can be done without even lifting the car, but that only makes things easier.

Back