• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator question

tonys99ramair

New CEG'er
Ok, I have done a search and have not found the answer to my question. I got all the parts I need to put my SVT back together after my engine fire minus the alternator. I called my local parts store, they want $190 for a damn alternator:eek: ........ yeah right. Anyways, I have been reading about the Tauras 3.0 alternator being the same, but I have not found anybody who has said yes they are the same, it will work. So that is my question, will the 3.0 Tauras alternator work? I would much rather spend $80 for an alternator then $190, but if I have to I have to. BTW, car is a early 98 CSVT. Any help would be greatly appreciated, my car has been sitting for almost three months now, I am ready to have it running again!--Tony

There is a model of the Taurus alternator that fits, but I don't know the year or part number. There was just a post about it, but I don't seem to be able to find it. :shrug: Sorry

Yeah I remember reading a thread that said the alternator from the 3.0 Tauras (pushrod motor) had like the same output and bolt pattern but like the generator ratio was different or something, I do not remember. If it puts out the same amps I could care less about the generator, lol. But I have done a search and cannot come up with anything really. I am just curious if anybody has done this and which one they used. Thanks for your reply Scott.--Tony

Yeah, that is the post but I have not found anywhere where anybody has actually tried it....that is mainly what I am looking for.--Tony

Have you thought about or tried a junk yard for a used one? I would think any Contour alternator would work as there is not anything electrically unique with the SVT model of the V6 Contour.

erb13

Have you thought about or tried a junk yard for a used one? I would think any Contour alternator would work as there is not anything electrically unique with the SVT model of the V6 Contour.

erb13

I have been told that there are two different style's of alternators for the SVT (has to do with how they mount and the output) I have not been able to find any part #'s on mine to find out which one I have so I can maybe cross it with a different one. When I called Ford they knew which one I had but they would not give me the part number:rolleyes: . Guess I am just gonna have to break down and buy a new one.....least the car will be running again! Thanks for the help guys.--Tony

Maybe all you need to do is replace the brushes on the alternator you already have. It's easier to do with the alternator off the engine. You'd have to pull them out to make sure they didn't do any metal to metal damage to the commutator but you can see that easy enough. Just a thought.
Karl

Dont buy those crap alternators from the parts warehouse. Why risk it...?

Get a genuine ford.

fordparts.com = titus-will ford. New alternator 171.41 + I think like 75.00 core. I got one from them. Great service.

You can do all the pricing and quoting in the world, but youll only end up saving like 20-30 dollars on a cheapo alt compared to fordparts.com price.

Last edited:
Dont buy those crap alternators from the parts warehouse. Why risk it...?

Get a genuine ford.

fordparts.com = titus-will ford. New alternator 171.41 + I think like 75.00 core. I got one from them. Great service.

You can do all the pricing and quoting in the world, but youll only end up saving like 20-30 dollars on a cheapo alt compared to fordparts.com price.

Bill Jenkins at teamfordlv.com can likely beat the pee out of that price and he's a regular contributor to CEG and FCO. Good guy. Tousley is another very competative source for genuine Ford parts and I would not hesitate to call them as well. Considering the core charge & shipping cost to return your alt, might be a better bet in this case to visit your local Ford store & ask them to match the teamfordlv.com price for Contour.org and/or FCO members. They might do it!

These cars are VERY picky about alternators - I just went through two brand name versions at a local part store. One re-man, one NEW - Each lasted only 2 days. I put a re-man Ford unit in there & am happy as can be.

Well, the way in which you ask makes it sound like you had one replaced and now its bad. If you have a warranty (and just don't know the timeframe) you could have always just called the place your warranty is through.

If you don't have an installation warranty, and you just BOUGHT the alternator from a dealership (installed elsewhere) you could just call that dealership (or ANY dealership) and ask them.

Certainly in the (nearly) hour and a half that this thread has been up you could have had your answer already, especially considering that your question is quite vague as I pointed out earlier.

Did you have it INSTALLED at a dealer? Purchased just a part? etc, etc, etc..

i was trying to decide if i should order one and i was wondering if it had a lifetime warrany. Instead im getting a new one from napa for $148. I was going to call but got lazy and never did. I've had nothing but problems with alternators so i purchase one with a lifetime warranty of course when i acutally had a problem i cant find the receipt and none of the stores said they had my warranty in their system. A call to advance auto parts corporate still couldnt find my warranty.

anyways thanks for the help.

Well, the way in which you ask makes it sound like you had one replaced and now its bad. If you have a warranty (and just don't know the timeframe) you could have always just called the place your warranty is through.

If you don't have an installation warranty, and you just BOUGHT the alternator from a dealership (installed elsewhere) you could just call that dealership (or ANY dealership) and ask them.

Certainly in the (nearly) hour and a half that this thread has been up you could have had your answer already, especially considering that your question is quite vague as I pointed out earlier.

Did you have it INSTALLED at a dealer? Purchased just a part? etc, etc, etc..

No, I did not have a new one installed, the voltage regulator went out in my old one. I replaced it with a new one from a place that re-builds alternators and apprently it was the wrong one as it burnt up my alternator and some of my wires. So now I not only need a new alternator but I also need a few new wires (which I already have).--Tony

Figured i'd give you guys an update......

I ended up getting the alternator rebuilt, was $130 dollars. Have not put it on the car yet, but I just picked it up this morning. I started the car yesterday for the first time in three months after the engine fire and she is running good now that it is fixed. Just need to get the alternator back on it and it will be ready to drive again!--Tony

I hope your alternator gives you years of enjoyment. I'm tired of changing mine. Thank God for the lifetime warranty though.

Bill Jenkins at teamfordlv.com can likely beat the pee out of that price and he's a regular contributor to CEG and FCO. Good guy. Tousley is another very competative source for genuine Ford parts and I would not hesitate to call them as well. Considering the core charge & shipping cost to return your alt, might be a better bet in this case to visit your local Ford store & ask them to match the teamfordlv.com price for Contour.org and/or FCO members. They might do it!

These cars are VERY picky about alternators - I just went through two brand name versions at a local part store. One re-man, one NEW - Each lasted only 2 days. I put a re-man Ford unit in there & am happy as can be.

How do you get the Contour.org price? Is there a discount if you tell them you are a member?

How do you get the Contour.org price? Is there a discount if you tell them you are a member?

just order from teamfordparts.com or i think its tousleyfordparts.com both now have their discounted pricing online for everyone. there's no special club pricing anymore. calling either will give the same price as online

Back