• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

trust in radar detectors

I am not one to excessively speed, but sometimes you just kinda zone out and end up cruising down the highway at a speed faster than you intended to. My radar system has paid for itself at least twice. I have had many moments where I was just cruising along and it went off and saved me from a speed trap.

Stay away from those Rocky Mountain Radar units. They don't work and check out the lasar detector web site about them. The trick is they don't pay if you are going more than 15 over and the price of the unit is more than the ticket usually. They don't pay twice, so even if they do pay they still make money on the deal. Even as just a plain radar detector they are mediocre.

I had a Bell unit that I gave to my son and it has saved him several times in Calif. I currently have a cheap cobra, got it for $29 at Fry's Electronics on sale. It works great on everything. There is really nothing one can do about the new POP radar and Lasers other than know you've been got. The POP's are short range and are very effective quick short duration.

I usually go 3-9 mph over the posted, but that is acceptable around here. I only use the detector just to know "they" around, and to watch what I'm doing. Got popped just last night with a laser and had plenty of warning.

Just don't go beyond the limits and do nothing to stand out. That's what the cop said to my wife once, as she was putting on her make-up while passing a motor cycle cop who was doing the limit..... lol Didn't give her a ticket but commented that all those other drivers that went by while they were talking were sure going slower. Then he hopped on his bike and stopped someone for real.

my 2 cents,

AF

I am not one to excessively speed, but sometimes you just kinda zone out and end up cruising down the highway at a speed faster than you intended to. My radar system has paid for itself at least twice. I have had many moments where I was just cruising along and it went off and saved me from a speed trap.

Back in the 70's my brother-in-law had a Buick Riveria one of the boat tails, and it had a hand on the speedo that you could set and it set off a buzzer if you went past that limit. That was really neat. However neither that nor the Fuzz Buster did him any good. Once after he had gotten his third speeding ticket I asked him if his FB didn't work right. He said it worked perfectly he just didn't think there would be a cop in that area...... lol he deserved what he got in my book...... brother-in-laws!...lol

AF

My husband is a police officer. We have had lots of different detectors in our cars - I drive an SVT or an RX-8, he drives a Mustang GT, ergo, we drive in a "spirited" fashion. The detectors don't pick up anything if the radar is just idling, and most cops - if they're not lazy - don't keep the radar unit actively on all the time. It makes a horrible doppler-effect noise that helps the officer detect how fast the car is going - the higher the pitch, the faster the target. It sounds like feedback from an old radio - the whistling noise you hear in between stations. Most people don't like intrusive whining noises while they're working, especially if they're trying to listen to radio traffic. Lasers are mostly shoulder mounted rifle-type guns. They're expensive and bulky. There are fewer than 5 departments in our state that have lasers. You have to be sitting still to use them because they're not attached to the car and can't be calibrated for its speed.

My husband and I, out of curiousity (more mine than his) tested my detector (a Cobra, I think I paid about $200 IIRC) with the laser and the radar with me in my SVT and he in the patrol car. I was sitting in the garage, and he was parked in the driveway 10 feet behind me. He pointed the laser right at the car, pulled the trigger, AND THE DETECTOR DIDN'T MAKE A SOUND. I thought he hadn't pulled the trigger yet when he looked up and said, "Well?" Maybe it's a crap detector, sure. The radar worked from the rear, but not the laser. That was enough for me to not put faith in any detector. I took the detector out and haven't put it back since. If I get pulled over (and I have) I just apologize sincerely and hope the nice officer is having a good day.

A laser can tell a car's speed at nearly a mile away. If you can see it, the laser can tell you its speed. And it's deadly accurate. There's no fighting about which car was being targeted. Radar is much closer and harder to target. Usually when my husband flips it on he's within 30 yards. That's too close to brake and have it be effective at all. Even if they didn't get you in the second it took you to react, they're sure see your car nosedive. I know my husband laughs at people when they see a cop on the highway - people are such idiots!

Radar picks up "biggest closest fastest". So if you're in a Mini, and there's a semi next to you, chances are that the radar will be displaying his speed, not yours. But that's a chance you have to take if you want to speed. Radar has for a long time not been able to tell a car's speed going the same direction as the patrol vehicle. So if you were driving the same direction as a cop, you didn't have to worry as much. But that's pretty much obsolete now. They have all sorts of new technology, and one of the newest is same-direction radar.

This is all based on what I've talked to my husband about. I'm sure that there are other speed devices out there. But these are the ones that I know something about (not everything!) Hope someone finds it a little helpful.

EDIT:
Be nice to cops. They're just doing their job. You wouldn't like it if someone came into your office and called you all sorts of names just for doing what you're getting paid for. They put their lives on the line EVERY SINGLE DAY - for as little as $10 an hour. Would you risk your life for that? Most cops are genuinely good people trying to help YOU stay safe. They're not out to be jerks. They are bound by the law, and unless you give them a reason to pull you over, they can't. Smile and wave next time you see one in traffic. Give them the respect that they deserve!

Last edited:
A laser can tell a car's speed at nearly a mile away. If you can see it, the laser can tell you its speed. And it's deadly accurate. There's no fighting about which car was being targeted. Radar is much closer and harder to target. Usually when my husband flips it on he's within 30 yards. That's too close to brake and have it be effective at all. Even if they didn't get you in the second it took you to react, they're sure see your car nosedive. I know my husband laughs at people when they see a cop on the highway - people are such idiots!
The laser beam gains size across distance. At around 1000', the laser beam is about the size of a car, and they can easily get the speed of the semi next to you instead of you (if they're more reflective). Because of this, a couple states have laws prohibiting laser tickets at a distance greater than 1000'. If your state does not prohibit this, then you can take your laser ticket to court... if they got you from far away.

EDIT:
Be nice to cops. They're just doing their job. You wouldn't like it if someone came into your office and called you all sorts of names just for doing what you're getting paid for. They put their lives on the line EVERY SINGLE DAY - for as little as $10 an hour. Would you risk your life for that? Most cops are genuinely good people trying to help YOU stay safe. They're not out to be jerks. They are bound by the law, and unless you give them a reason to pull you over, they can't. Smile and wave next time you see one in traffic. Give them the respect that they deserve!

I completely disagree, if this was true, why would I be getting pulled over going EXACTLY the speed limit for not having a front plate? Why would I get pulled over for my license plate lights being out, I don't think that puts anybody in danger.

I agree with Sarah that the public should be nice to the officers of the law. Admittedly, some cops can be jerks, but that generally applies anywhere.

Also, since she's from Montana, I'd expect a greater number of the people at-large to be friendlier, as was my experience during the five years that I lived in the Big Sky state. This surely helps.

wk1905fletch.jpg

"...here on behalf of our own Fred..."the Dorf," Dorfman!...Did you know that Fred spent much of his life honoring a profession that has gone largely unsung around here. Some of them are here tonight. The profession, of course, is law enforcement. I know Fred feels that too often our feelings are locked in, and we feel restrained and perhaps even embarrassed, to reach out and touch an officer of the law. After all, they are people, aren't they? Stand up. Pat them on the back. Reach out. Shake hands with any one of these men in blue. Hug a cop! Yeah, go ahead, I said it! Yeah! That's a wonderful feeling! I'm so proud tonight!...They're cops! Hip, hip, hooray!"

One side note about short range radar detection -- not uncommon for some detectors to have blind spots close-up. This is generally immaterial, as you shouldn't need a detector to spot a cop 50 feet in front of you.

Last edited:
why would I be getting pulled over going EXACTLY the speed limit for not having a front plate? Why would I get pulled over for my license plate lights being out, I don't think that puts anybody in danger.

Umm..... because it's an equipment violation and that's against the law (no matter how fast you're going) in some states, too? Cops will pull you over for something seemingly frivolous if they think you're up to something else - out after curfew, think you're drinking, etc. Cops don't pull over DUI's, they pull over turn signal violations and equipment violations and then discover a DUI.

And the license plate lights being out put COPS in danger. If they can't identify a car's registered owner and supposed driver, how will they know if they've pulled over a convicted felon or a car that's been stolen or a person with a $500,000 warrant?

I reiterate - be nice to cops and they'll usually be nice back. Be a jerk and you'll get lots of spendy tickets for front plates and plate lights being out.

Back in the 70's my brother-in-law had a Buick Riveria one of the boat tails, and it had a hand on the speedo that you could set and it set off a buzzer if you went past that limit. That was really neat. However neither that nor the Fuzz Buster did him any good. Once after he had gotten his third speeding ticket I asked him if his FB didn't work right. He said it worked perfectly he just didn't think there would be a cop in that area...... lol he deserved what he got in my book...... brother-in-laws!...lol

AF

All Thunderbirds and Cougars from '85-'88 were equipped with a speed alarm, as well. The button is at the far right of the instrument panel.

10809.jpg

And the license plate lights being out put COPS in danger. If they can't identify a car's registered owner and supposed driver, how will they know if they've pulled over a convicted felon or a car that's been stolen or a person with a $500,000 warrant?

The license plate lights don't do anything. That's what their headlights are for.

Oh, and Rocky Mountain Radar is lying when they say their radar detectors have radar jammers built in. They used to sell detector/jammer combos, but the feds shut that down, so now they build mediocre radar detectors and lie about the rest.

All Thunderbirds and Cougars from '85-'88 were equipped with a speed alarm, as well. The button is at the far right of the instrument panel.

As well as new GTOs... You set it with the digital part of the dash and it dings when you exceed it.

Here's an example of a GTOs overspeed alert: Go to www.youtube.com and put "Doctor Speed's 06 GTO - bone stock" into search.

You can't hear the ding, but you can see the flashing display.

Also, vehicles in Kuwait have it also (maybe Qatar also, but we never drove fast enough). If you exceeded 130Km/h, on older vehicles it would buzz until you slowed down, and newer vehicles (the 03/04 Chevy trucks we had, for example) made a ding and displayed "OVERSPEED" in the information display.

I'm sure other vehicles are similar (maybe a dedicated light or something).

Last edited:
Get yourself a different view on things - talk to your local police department and ask if you can do a ride-along. They'll sit you in the passenger seat for a shift with an officer. It opened my eyes up. You'll see things that you never believed a sane human would do to another. It's really interesting and very informational - you'll understand more why cops do what they do.

I have a Cobra 9930 and LOVE IT.
I got nailed once with Laser (on the way to home in FL from buying my CSVT in MI). I was the front car in a pack and thus I got a ticket.
As far as Radar goes.. It will pick up K and Ka a good 5-6 miles out in flat terrain. Yes.. 5-6 miles. HolyRollerz has been in my car and seen this happen.
I love it and don't drive without it if I am going on the open road.
This particular model also has a full color screen with voice alert; it detects, X, K, Ka, Ku, Laser (360), Spectre and VG2 Radar Detector detectors, and Saftey Radar. It has a compass, voltmeter, Intellimute (mutes all alerts below your specified RPM).

I also have a Cobra 9530 for the wifes car. All the same features, but no color screen.

Just call up the local department and ask. The worst that will happen is that they say no. Most departments are very open - it helps them with their public relations. My husband took out the son of one of my coworkers - her boy is 8, and wants to be a police officer more than anything. If your city has a policy against it (some do, for liability reasons) then call your county department. Or call the next town over. There's lots of ways to do it, and it's worth doing!

Here's my late chime in, I have an older whistler radar detector which has done be good over the years. Sometime I need to upgrade to the SR7 + ZRShifter from passport, had a chance to awhile back for a really low price, but i didn't have the money.... anyways though....

From what I've seen cops can put their radar in 2 modes, passive, and active, active is great if you have a radar detector on and they are crusing or sitting because you'll have an early warning to them. Passive is what nips you in the butt to say, usually a radar detector won't pickup passive radar since it's not sending out signals, so then when you go speeding by the cop flips that radar and you don't have time to react :(

As for laser, here in Wisconsin a lot of times I've seen that cops will shoot twice, usually I drop down a gear or two and pull the e-brake to slow down and not give it all away by slamming the brakes down. A little easier to get away with if you're in heavy traffic.

If you really want to find some good material on radar detectors and which ones are better and how to install them you should head on over to radardetector.net The gentlemen that runs the site is a former cop and he uses the latest radar and laser guns to test out the detectors and see which are the best bang for the buck. Plus they have a section dedicated to fighting tickets and stories of people who have one tickets they've contested.

Back