• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Clunking fixed - finally!

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
I had the famous rear clunking sound since I bought my contour about a year ago. Today I finally replaced the rear sway bar links (and bushings) and violla! Problem solved. I looked around twice and didn't see anything wrong so I was hesitant to replace the endlinkes. Specifically, my problem was not the bushing that held the endlink in place, but the bushing that connected the endlink and the swaybar - it was just a little loose allowing to much movement. Something to note however is that during previous inspections I was never able to move any parts - everything was solid. This is what made me hesitant to replace the endlinks.

I guess my point is.. if your tour has the rear clunking problem, and you can't see anything wrong, try replacing the endinks - not just the rubber bushings/insulators.

Good luck to those who still suffer from the clunk.

Good fix!

Good fix!

I replaced all the links/bushings, including the ones in the arm. Still clunked because the swaybar hit the subframe, had to shim up the D shaped bushings to lift the bar up a bit..It's nice to stop the clunking:cool:

I replaced all the links/bushings, including the ones in the arm. Still clunked because the swaybar hit the subframe, had to shim up the D shaped bushings to lift the bar up a bit..It's nice to stop the clunking:cool:
Any pics? I did the endlinks it stopped the clunking for a week now its back.

Any pics? I did the endlinks it stopped the clunking for a week now its back.

Make sure you have the endlink bolts tightened enough - both the top and bottom bolts, if you just replaced the bushings, replace the whole endlink, if you did replace the entire endlinks, then try tightening the bolts. :shrug:

Could be. If one end link is worn or broken it will make noise on that side only. I would suggest replacing both sides though because if one side is gone the other side can't be far behind. They only take about 15 min a sie to change and you don't even have to jack up the car.

Thanks - that is what is happening to me now. The clunk is loud! Planning to fix it in the spring.

yup, did the same thing with my pre98.

Turned out the endlink was fine, it was just the bushing that dries out and allows for some play in the rear sway bar, which makes a klunking noise.

Stupid rubber bushings, why cant they use urethane?

Back