• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 contour starts and dies?

stealitall

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello, My car is a 1995 contour se V6 80,000miles. Just yesterday it stalled coming to a stop light and ever since then it wont stay running. It happed dooring a rain storm I mean it took me about 100 starts and stalls to get it home. It let me site in the street about 3 times trying to get it off of the road. Funny thing is that the car would only die when the check engine light was off. But when the light was on the car ran for about 2 mins or more. But as soon as the light went out bam car stalled. Other thing that is funny is if I let go of the gas and cost the idle stays up the car don't stall but soon as I slow down to about 10mph or slower it dies?:help: Sorry about grammar I suck LOL!! :shrug:

Hm, I've had that happen but usually if i give it some gas right after i start it it will hold idle and not stall. only happens once and a while though...

the car don't stall but soon as I slow down to about 10mph or slower it dies?:help: Sorry about grammar I suck LOL!! :shrug:

that makes it sound IAC related... definitly check for vacuum leaks around there. If you can't find any try cleaning the IAC. Let us know what happens with that.

Last edited:
Sounds more like an issue with the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor than the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. I had this same exact thing happen to me while drive through rush hour traffic, in the city. I stalled at a green light, and couldn't get it started for a while. I finally cranked it over, through it in gear, and ran all the way home so I could read the code (Was going home anyway). IIRC it was code P0102, which means the circuit was fried, grounding out, or disconnected. I looked at the MAF sensor, and sure enough, one of the holding teeth was busted off, so it wouldn't get a great hold. Plugged it back in, started, ran, idled fine.

Ok this don't make any :censored: fing sense. I started the car this morning after taking the M.A.F off and took and look no burns. So i ran my girl to work it ran no stalls nothing it idled at 500 to 600 rpms. On the way home I had to use the gas to go up a hill but as soon as I hit over 3000 to 4000 rpms the cars rpms shoot up and the car didn't move any faster then bam the car jumped and took off. Then after that the car did it even on 2000 rpms. Then 2 times the rpms hit 4000 to 5000 rpm at like 20mph kind of like if the the tran was slipping then it started to jumped and bucked me a little bit then took off.Then the stalling started again just like before :shrug:????:help: :mad: :cry:

Check this

Check this

Check if the EGR Vacuum lines are intact. The green one likes to break off, easy to fix with rubber tubing (if you use model car engine fuel line silicone tube, it will last forever). Make sure all air intake hoses are clamped and correct, PCV lines can crack...

Back