• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

no more loud exhaust!

RandyCSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I am getting tired of my MSDS headers, stock cat, and non-resonated magnaflow trubendz system. I have been thinking of making the car more of a sleeper by making it quiet. I was thinking of adding an electric cutout after the y-pipe, and adding two mufflers to the rear of the car. I think I will have to get a trubendz test pipe. The exhaust will go: MSDS headers, MSDS y-pipe, e-cut out on trubendz testpipe, followed by a high flow cat, trubendz magnaflow resonator, and some magnaflow mufflers. I will open the cutout for all out performance, and close it and keep the car quiet for riding around town.

Are there any downsides to an electric cutout?

what mufflers should I add that will not sound ricey? I just want the car quieter for putting around town at partial throttle. I dont really care if it gets loud when I floor it.

Feel free to share your ideas. My only fear is to add anything to this exhaust system and making it sound worse. It sounds great as it is, but it's kinda loud.

I would just get a nice big res. and add it in, should tone everything down a bit.

EDIT: Is your system one central muffler or two mufflers? Are the mufflers actually mufflers or resonators?

I have a trubendz non resonated system. That is one magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator, and nothing after that.

Yea, thats the same cat-back I'm running. With MSDS headers and a Trubendz hi flow y-pipe w/ hi-flow cat, its loud as hell! I ordered the rear pipes from them that have the resonators on them, and I can't wait to get them on there and quiet it back up...

I would order the resonated tips from trubendz, but I dont want to deal with possible fitment issues. I just want a muffler with tips that I could weld onto my current system.

Ya I had the trubendz res. system with WR headers and a 3L. The exhaust didnt have the muffler on it anymore and I dont have a cat. My car was very loud so I got a 22" magnaflow res. and it still is loud but the noise is toned. I still owe everyone a video. hmmm need to get a camera.

I too wonder a bit about cutouts (probably not electric in my case as those are a bit expensive). I'll probably add a resonator onto my exhaust once I get the headers on and already have two mufflers at the rear, so it should so good around town but it'd be great to open it completely up to frighten kids.

If all the mufflers are of a straight through design, a cutout isnt going to do you a whole lot of good. Honestly, I would just get a regular exhaust and be done with it. Maybe add two mufflers at the end, and slap a regular res. in the middle. I wish my car was up and running, we could have a mini meet to compare exhausts. FWIW, I consider mine to be fairly loud, but with the big res. it shuts up almost entirely at cruise (no drone). So its really only loud under excel. and decel. if you leave it in gear. Its probably quite a bit quieter than yours considering Ive got an extra muffler and res. over what you have now.

Man, I fired my car up the other day in the garage with just the headers and y-pipe, and g-damn was it effin loud! The only time that would be do-able is at the track. But honestly, I doubt the gains would be noticeable over a properly designed straight through exhaust system.

I am gonna add two magnaflow mufflers. I remember somebody posting something about certain magnaflow mufflers not being very good, because they had a non removeable resonator. Anybody know which ones those are? I would search, but I am still a little lost as to where all the old posts went.

This is what im worried about. Ive got a genuine Borla system on the car, and the tone and volume is dependant on how im driving. If im taking it easy its quiet, like real quiet. If I open it up it gets Loud!

Im going to be in the market for a larger exhaust shortly, but I dont want to mess with such a good thing :(. Ill probably opt for a Tru bendz borla resonated and hope that it sounds close to the same.

Electric cutouts work great for turbo cars where back-pressure is the enemy. But in an NA car or even with nitrous, where the air is not being forced in and is releying on scavenging from the exhaust, a cut out is not wise, you will actually loose power do to no back pressure. To quiet it up, i suggest just putting some flow through mufflers on. I plan on doing that on my car, but i'm turbo, so i'm also going to have the cutout.

Also, be careful with how large of an exhaust you go with, same theory applies there as well. Hope that helps.

Robert

This is what im worried about. Ive got a genuine Borla system on the car, and the tone and volume is dependant on how im driving. If im taking it easy its quiet, like real quiet. If I open it up it gets Loud!

Im going to be in the market for a larger exhaust shortly, but I dont want to mess with such a good thing :(. Ill probably opt for a Tru bendz borla resonated and hope that it sounds close to the same.

same here, I have a genuine Brola as well and it was def. toned. However upon installing the Weapons R headers/y-pipe, it really made the Borla sound amazing. It is nice and toned in the city but when u rip on it, everyone can hear your car and Ive heard compliments that it sounds absoloutly badass from a friend in another car..Im really happy with it and thats they way it will stay

Electric cutouts work great for turbo cars where back-pressure is the enemy. But in an NA car or even with nitrous, where the air is not being forced in and is releying on scavenging from the exhaust, a cut out is not wise, you will actually loose power do to no back pressure. To quiet it up, i suggest just putting some flow through mufflers on. I plan on doing that on my car, but i'm turbo, so i'm also going to have the cutout.

Also, be careful with how large of an exhaust you go with, same theory applies there as well. Hope that helps.

Robert
I know cutouts are used on some NA cars with success. Back pressure is actually always bad. Delta pressure is what you're thinking about that is good, which in this case would basically be how fast the exhaust is moving. Now, you can lose some low end power if your exhaust is very free flowing, but you gain more power up top (which I'd think is more useful, considering you use upper rpm's for racing). I think really, you'd have to try different configurations to see what works best.

Ok, thats reasonable. Many of the cars i see with open exhaust are drag cars with massive motors and massive blowers or turbos. But just putting a cutout on a car is not the best thing to do.

Robert

I remember hearing your exhaust Randy, it sounded awesome, but I can see how you would get annoyed by it after awhile. Put mufflers at the ends of the exhaust, it should reduce sound greatly. As of the choice of muffler, someone esle will have to help you there.

You may want to try dynomax mufflers. I have one on the zetec and it's very quiet and the svt has two and no res. I've gotten compliments on how the svt sounds. It's fairly quiet (or seems that way because it's deep) but you definitely can hear it in the upper rpms. Dynomax mufflers also flow very well because of their straight through design.

Thanks! I will look into those, but after realizing that the warmonger brake kit and all new pads and rotors will cost me close to $500....The exhaust will have to wait. I guess I am better off stopping than making lots of noise and crashing into stuff.

If that $500 includes new rotors from Ford, you can always get rotors from a part store. I know they're not the same quality as OE, but they're usually plenty good enough. That's the way I'm going, saves well over $100.

Also give Stazi a buzz. His rotors and pads are OEM quality and not too expensive. I got new front focus rotors and front/rear pads for a bit over $200. For exact prices, contact him.

Nevermind, you probably meant with warmongers brackets.

hey, i want to get a trubendz 2.25" SS exhaust system
with either a borla muffler or a magnaflow muffler.
each with a 14" magnaflow resonator.

I heard the borla muffler is louder and deeper tone whereas the magnaflow is milder and quieter than the borla.

What do you think?

Back