• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec stage 3 issues

A3ON

CEG'er
ok , i have a mildly stock 95 2.5 se mtx. The clutch was fried when i bought the car so about 2 years ago i replaced it with a spec stage 3 and a nice fidanza flywheel. Now my clutch is slipping in high gears and low rpm's @ 3/4 throttle when i give it gas. But the take off engagement feels fine , also i can shift fine. Possibly a leaking slave cylinder? , or a leaking rear main seal? or is the disk/flywheel fried?. If i need to replace can the trans be pulled w/o removing the whole subframe as i do not have the necessities to put my car on a lift. thanks for the imput

ok , i have a mildly stock 95 2.5 se mtx. The clutch was fried when i bought the car so about 2 years ago i replaced it with a spec stage 3 and a nice fidanza flywheel. Now my clutch is slipping in high gears and low rpm's @ 3/4 throttle when i give it gas. But the take off engagement feels fine , also i can shift fine. Possibly a leaking slave cylinder? , or a leaking rear main seal? or is the disk/flywheel fried?. If i need to replace can the trans be pulled w/o removing the whole subframe as i do not have the necessities to put my car on a lift. thanks for the imput

Leaking rear main seal? sounds like an oil seal not clutch.

Possible the clutch is fried, more likely you glazed the flywheel or pressure plate.

Jack the car up, drop the driver side subframe bolts all the way out, and lower the passenger sides ones nearly all the way out, trans will come out through the wheel well; under the rail, above the SF.

because its not that simple.

Most CEG'ers would charge you 500-600 for the same job.

It isn't that bad... after you do 5 of them in the first year of owning the car :laugh: :crazy: :nonono:

Some inspirational pix (Didn't have the car 1 month and I was doing this)

Start to finish - I blew the dif - so you wont be pouring in as much money as I had to...

1216062052b.jpg

1216062052d.jpg

1216062053.jpg

1217061316.jpg

1217061317.jpg

TorsenStuff.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

hey, atleast you have a garage. I can just imagine myself sitting in my driveway 5pm , 35 degrees outside with busted knuckles. btw how long did that take you?

Does your flywheel and clutch combo make a shutter? I had the same set up but mine held good but just caused a shutter. Now I don't like SPEC at all. The flywheel probably didn't help, going from 16lbs to a 9lb.

Yeah I know, I dropped about 550 on my set up and It did that, plus the throw out bearing that came with it went out in about a month. I was mad. Then the 2nd gear syncro messed up soon after. So I just let the car get re-possed. Sorry guys, but I got a T-Red one now! :cool:but just need a motor:help:

hey, atleast you have a garage. I can just imagine myself sitting in my driveway 5pm , 35 degrees outside with busted knuckles. btw how long did that take you?

I did a trans swap in a apartment rental garage :crazy:

0501071755.jpg

It was realy close - my feet hung out in the driveway when I was working underneeth.

That took us some time - we had the trans out through the wheel well in about 8 hrs. It was winter and right before xmas. Mostly had a problem with having to yank the trans, bring it in to get rebuilt, and then bring it back... Lots of downtime.

Motor and trans are comming out again this spring for headers, y pipe, stage 3+ clutch, fidanza, new shift forks, and fix a small oil leak.

Yeah I know, I dropped about 550 on my set up and It did that, plus the throw out bearing that came with it went out in about a month. I was mad.

i dropped about the same amount. and my throwout bearing started squeeling liek a stuck pig when i engaged the clutch, and a few years later it stopped. maybe thats my problem :troutslap:

Back