• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brand new car from the US

SVT3Rivieres

CEG'er
with the looney worthing 1.04$US, im really considering like many other to cross the border to buy a new car

we are in the market for a 2008 WRX 5 doors, which retails at 33 895$CAN. with tax and everything its 40K

in the US with the transport fee the car is 25K

so as you can see its a hell of a deal, but what can go wrong ?

i know some compagnie like honda make it harder but i check for subaru and they respect the US warranty in canada... only problem, you have to pay for you bills here and subaru of america will refund you in US$

BUT they will refund the price of the repairs IN THE US, which mean i thing that the repair (labor and part) will be cheaper in the US so they will not refund everything that i paid in canadian$, on the other hand if the canadian$ fall back they will still refund in US$

my concern is can they change there mind half-way and stop paying for the repair

lol, and what did you pay for it?

I wish I was in the market for a new car. I'd be filling out the paperwork and would be heading down to the States on the weekend.

its the wagon

as for the price he dropped by 1000$ and throw in window tint

Im about 6-7 drive from the US border and a lot of dealer refuse to sell to canadian now

my major concern was the warranty, i will have to pay every repairs directly to my dealer and send the paper du subaru of america which will approve the repairs en send a cheque of the amoun off that repair base on the US price... which will alway be cheaper than here.. so i will have to pay more everytime

so anyway now im at 500meter away from my dealer and the car will have a higher resell value than if its was a US car

its the wagon

as for the price he dropped by 1000$ and throw in window tint

Im about 6-7 drive from the US border and a lot of dealer refuse to sell to canadian now

my major concern was the warranty, i will have to pay every repairs directly to my dealer and send the paper du subaru of america which will approve the repairs en send a cheque of the amoun off that repair base on the US price... which will alway be cheaper than here.. so i will have to pay more everytime

so anyway now im at 500meter away from my dealer and the car will have a higher resell value than if its was a US car

That sounds about right.

Some dealers have "residency" rules. You need to be located in a certain province or state before they can sell to you. Also, some automakers have made it clear they will not warranty any cars owned by people outside their intended market (i.e. Canadians who own US cars and live in Canada). Some folks I've spoken with have said that some automakers won't even touch these cars because of any "liability" that can arise from the situation. I'm actually surprised that Subaru will handle warranty claims (albeit in a convoluted and more expensive matter).

In any case, hope you enjoy your ride. I'm sure you can deal with the US on other goodies ;)

From what I have heard that is mostly Toyota and Honda though - unless others have tightened up since. I know you can buy Mazda's in the states without a problem and bring them up here. Couple guys on the rx-8 forum did it. Only thing they had to do was pop in daytime running lights and something else and do the paperwork.

ok forget about it we just bought the car here already... will post some pic of the beast :D

So what do you think of your new Subi?

I only tried a 07 2.5 auto, and while it was not too bad, it was no bomb either heh. Handling wasn't bad, but it felt sloppier than a Mazda3, or the SVT :)

I had a lot of my friends asking me if it worth it to buy a new car in the US and import it in Canada, and I was always telling them that it didn't really owrth it, with all the warranties troubles that can arise, but I'm happy to know that Mazda seems to be the exception.

On the other hand, for a used car, it's the bargain of the century ! In march it's gonna be my second SVT that I import from Detroit to Québec. It's funny that you go a couple hundred miles to the south and west, and a 99 with no rust is just a normal thing :D

Back