• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brand New Bat Transmission..

ArtSvt

CEG'er
After contacting Terry Haines and doing some research... For The price of parts and labor to fix my 3rd gear grind and replace ONLY SOME of the other wear items.. Im looking at $800 range.. plus shipping both ways..

Now BAT is offering Brand New trannys for about $1200 plus shipping..

I wondering if buying a brand new transmission from BAT will save a lot of time, frustration and near future problems?..

Please help me with this expensive decision..
And if anyone has experience with the BAT trannys, what are your opinions of it? Quality?

BAT transmissions are nothing but updated European spec Ford OEM trannys.

No reason not to go with one at the price they offer them for.

I thought someplace was selling brand new mtx75's (the euro version) for around $750!?!? I thought about buying one and slapping a torsen or quaife and calling it a day. Anybody remember where they were selling them for that price or am I losing my memory!

That was BAT. They upped the price it seems. Do the updated trans. have the gppd double blockers for 3rd? I know the updated syncs. have the single and tend to go out very fast.

Also, does anyone know if they have the ball bearing shift forks instead of the bushings on the 98-99 transmissions?

Last edited:
Here is another page that will answer some of those questions...
http://64.202.180.37/files/cspecial.pdf

If I already have a Torsen... How hard would it be to install on my own? Or better off sending it to Terry if I have him do other upgrades?

Also, If my current shift tower had a stronger bolt replaced, would it be ok to install that on the new transmission? Or better off with the keyed one?

Last edited:
IMHO you would end up with a better trans if you let Terry overhaul yours. Depending on what you ask for, you will end up with the better (older design) 3rd gear synchro, roller fork or forks, keyed shift tower so the weak bolt will no longer be a problem, and then any other enhancements you desire paying for.

On the other side of the coin. a new frans from bat is all new. It also includes the taller final drive that is desirable if you are doing a 3.0 conversion. However, the latest design uses the latest 3rd gear synchro which is not as robust.

Just pull your trans and send it to Terry. You will get more bang for your buck.

Do bad synchros only grind? My last car a 325i had what I thought was a bad second gear synchro, it never ever grinded, but would not go into second at or near redline, no matter how hard you pulled, but would go in when the rpms fell down a bit.

Back