• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake lights stuck on..

protege_chris

CEG'er
Whether car is on, key in or not, etc. No matte rwhat, all 3 brake lights are illuminated. What's been stuck and where is it? :] Disconnected the battery for now, but i'll feel retarded doing that at work.

thannnnnnk you!

Below the brake pedal is the switch for the brake lights. I'll bet money it came off the pedal.

It's happened to me and others.

My money is on that, too.

The switch has an oblong (oval-ish) pin on it, and the brake pedal coumn has a matching hole that shape. The switch is inserted in the hole, then turned 90º to "lock" in (like a woman's purse latch, if you've seen that..)

Chances are you've caught that switch with your toe and turned it enough to pop out.

The switch is "normally closed" and "opening" it (by pressing the brake pedal AWAY from it) activates the lights. Search underneath your driver's dash area, right at the brake pedal (towards the top) for a brown (IIRC???) switch housing that is dangling around.

Jeez, finally something went wrong that was a very simple fix.

You guys really are great.. just so you know. I appreciate it.

I would have looked dumb as hell disconnecting and reconnecting my battery in the Target parking lot (I'm a cart attendant -snore-)

So.. you went out there, found it, and popped it back in?

or you are speaking in a future tense of the sense?

My money is on that, too.

The switch has an oblong (oval-ish) pin on it, and the brake pedal coumn has a matching hole that shape. The switch is inserted in the hole, then turned 90º to "lock" in (like a woman's purse latch, if you've seen that..)

Chances are you've caught that switch with your toe and turned it enough to pop out.

The switch is "normally closed" and "opening" it (by pressing the brake pedal AWAY from it) activates the lights. Search underneath your driver's dash area, right at the brake pedal (towards the top) for a brown (IIRC???) switch housing that is dangling around.

yup, I bet money this guy slammed on the brakes hard when he got in his accident, and knocked this thing loose.

Back