• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BIG PROBLEM!!!!

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
Sorry for cross posting, but I need help!!

I was replacing the rear subframe, and got every bolt i needed to get out except one holding the subframe to the frame, it snapped! I can not get it out, it actually broke right inside of the frame!

Options I have thought of:

Just have 3 bolts hold the subframe on for now... worst idea!

Drill hoel into frame and chisel nut and busted bolt off and drop a new bolt off and use a wrench hold new bolt!

Put three in and then have it welded to the frame right around the hole where the bolt was!

Which is the best idea to use? I do drive very spiritly and am hard on my suspension, so please keep that in mind!

when i got my rack and pinion installed they had to torch a small hole where the sub frame attached to the car to get the broken bolt out and installed new ones with washer and nut

Drill a "pilot" hole into the bolt and then use an easyout tool, they usually come right out. Also you could weld a smaller bolt to the broken bolt and then back it out that way. Just a couple of things I have done in the past to remove a broken bolt in a "blind" hole. Hope that helps.

going to try a bolt out kit tonight and see if i can get it out, and go purchase another bolt, do i need a special bolt?

Cut a small access hole in the frame, and pull out the remainders of the old nut and bolt. Get a new nut and bolt, and using that access hole you cut, use wrenches and breaker bars to tighten that thing down good. Then weld the piece back into the frame that you cut out. This is what was done to the front subframe of my car...

Back