• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Under Hood Liner...

svttour

Rico Suave
To keep or to remove? That is the question. Ive noticed many people keep theirs and more people remove them. Besides the positive of letting trapped heat escape the engine bay and appearance are there any other pros to this? I know a con is that the heat will eventually kill the paint.

Ive been contemplating doing this for some time now and I want some opinions before I make my final decision.

They get torn off in the U.K. and the underside of the hood polished or polished stainless panels fitted.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

the heat from the engine dose not effect it as bad as the sun! if you feel your hood in the sun it is way hotter!

They get torn off in the U.K. and the underside of the hood polished or polished stainless panels fitted.

DSC_0008.jpg

im hoping you know, and sorry for the hijack. Where is that intake available? i like the bends in it.

and what is going on with the cone filter?

im hoping you know, and sorry for the hijack. Where is that intake available? i like the bends in it.

and what is going on with the cone filter?

If you know that you are hijacking my thread why wouldnt you just Pm him to avoid that?

The hood blanket is in place for a number of reasons in stock form. Retaining heat in cold weather, engine noise dampening, some do a bit of RF shielding.
But, there is no overriding factor why it HAS to stay, feel free to remove it or leave it whichever works better for you. Though, if you drive in cold weather, I'd consider leaving it, or at least re-fitting it when the snow starts falling.

the biggest thing ive heard is that the liner is fire retardant. so it helps smother an underhood fire if one were to occur. i ripped mine off because i'm not planning on it ever starting on fire, and i needed that 1/2" clearance when i had that stupid thomas knight supercharger on it.

The hood blanket is in place for a number of reasons in stock form. Retaining heat in cold weather, engine noise dampening, some do a bit of RF shielding.
But, there is no overriding factor why it HAS to stay, feel free to remove it or leave it whichever works better for you. Though, if you drive in cold weather, I'd consider leaving it, or at least re-fitting it when the snow starts falling.

I think this is what I am going to do. Since I live in FL its hot 11 1/2 months out of the year. So I will remove it until it gets cold then install it for two weeks.

the biggest thing ive heard is that the liner is fire retardant. so it helps smother an underhood fire if one were to occur. i ripped mine off because i'm not planning on it ever starting on fire, and i needed that 1/2" clearance when i had that stupid thomas knight supercharger on it.

Having the misfortune of repairing many cars after car fires, I can tell you that the hood blanket is of no effect in case of an engine fire. The only thing it might do is keep the hood paint from blistering during a very intense car fire, and that is a big "might".

I like hood pads. I kept mine until it was too old and tender to stay together when I had to pull it down to repair a windshield washer problem. Induction noise is much louder, and generally sounds better, but at times there is a soft noise that sounds more like a vacuum leak that the hood pad dampened out.

Mine looked like crap, with tears in it so I removed it.. What would have been nice is that the Taurus SHO owners got.. the name stamed into the liner... but oh well..

Mine looked like crap, with tears in it so I removed it.. What would have been nice is that the Taurus SHO owners got.. the name stamed into the liner... but oh well..

my paint wass fine until i took mine off, 6 months later, time to repaint hood! too much heat caused the paint to basically bubble and then it oxidized!

To keep or to remove? That is the question. Ive noticed many people keep theirs and more people remove them. Besides the positive of letting trapped heat escape the engine bay and appearance are there any other pros to this? I know a con is that the heat will eventually kill the paint.

Ive been contemplating doing this for some time now and I want some opinions before I make my final decision.

My '00 came from the factory without an under-hood liner. Nearly 8 years and 200K miles later, the paint still looks okay. If it made any difference, I think the paint would be dead by now. I say rip it off.

Just like Big Jim said, the fire retardant thing is an old wives tale.

A packrat filled up my hood liner with cat food last summer. I found it there after I was changing the air cleaner in my '06 Explorer and finding cat food in the air cleaner box. Must have been a whole bag of kibble under the hood. I took the liner off, and of course at least one of the heads on those funny press-in studs tears off. Happens to me every time I take a door liner off too. I sacked my house cat for letting that packrat run wild in my garage.

A packrat filled up my hood liner with cat food last summer. I found it there after I was changing the air cleaner in my '06 Explorer and finding cat food in the air cleaner box. Must have been a whole bag of kibble under the hood. I took the liner off, and of course at least one of the heads on those funny press-in studs tears off. Happens to me every time I take a door liner off too. I sacked my house cat for letting that packrat run wild in my garage.
cat food in the air cleaner? damn:nonono:

Back