• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Winter tire opinions

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
Based on what's available in 205/55/16 on the discounttiredirect.com site I have about 4 options

hansv1.ang.jpg
Hankook Icebear W300 205/55R-16 94V XL B $88

yoksq5.l.jpg
yokohama ice guard IG721 205/55R-16 89Q BW $97

yoksv2.ang.jpg
yokohama w.drive 205/55R-16 94V BW $101

yokst1.ang.jpg
yokohama ice guard IG20 205/55R-16 91T BW $109

Keep in mind I don't know anything but...

I'm leaning more towrds the IG20's because they look the most like Blizzaks pictured here:
bs_blizzak_ws_50_dir_ci2_l.jpg

I like their high load/speed rating. The w.drives and IG721's look too much like all seasons. I like the speed/load/price of the Icebears although the treadstyle doesnt look as busy as the IG20's and there is tons of rubber showing which makes me think it's not as good for inclement weather. :shrug:

Please critique anything I have said and provide your opinions. I'll be buying something at the end of today.

Hankook iPike W409 205/55R-16 91T BLK $85

I think I would go with those. Looks like a nice aggresive design to dig into the snow. But at the same time the last ones you mentioned do look the most like a Blizzak (and I love my blizzaks).

I used to run the older Yok snow tires, Guardex I think was the name then, and I was very happy with them; Ran them for a few years, and then sold them to the Midget, and she got at least one more year out of them I think.
My CSVT handled awesome in the snow with them too, there is a pic floating around of me parked having driven through snow up to the bumper without any trouble. . .

I'm running Blizzak WS-50's. :drool: :drool:

I've yet to get stuck with the Blizzaks. I can tear through anything even with the bumper have covered in snow.

I'm running Blizzak WS-50's. :drool: :drool:

I've yet to get stuck with the Blizzaks. I can tear through anything even with the bumper have covered in snow.

well blizzaks aren't on my list! I went cheap and ordered the hancook ws300's. Wuteva, I do what I want! Good reviews, V-Rating. We'll see how it goes.

well blizzaks aren't on my list! I went cheap and ordered the hancook ws300's. Wuteva, I do what I want! Good reviews, V-Rating. We'll see how it goes.
Haha, I was debating the exact same tires and I went with the W300s too.
Hope we like them. The price was great.
-J

Haha, I was debating the exact same tires and I went with the W300s too.
Hope we like them. The price was great.
-J

I bailed on the hankooks last minute :eek: Got the yoko IG20's for 70something each in....205/60/16! 200 shipped after discount! Should fit by my calculations and measurements even if it does look a bit on the silly side. Wuteva, I do what I want!

I had blizzaks(used) on my 93 325i and that car was amazing in the snow, I felt confident pretty much anywhere. I'm not getting snowtires for the contour, just don't feel like spending the money but if I did I'd tried to get a set of used blizzaks.

I'd go with the ones that look like Blizzaks as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I use to run a Michelin snowtire (can't remember which one) and wasn't happy at all.

I have had a few sets of winter tires over the years and right now I am running the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's. Better than anything else I have ever had. I drive about 600 miles a week and I live right on the coast of Lake Michigan, lots of lake effect. On the highway you would never know you are on winter tires. I tired Blizzaks and in town I think they might be a little better, but over 60 MPH the car didn't feel so good. On dry roads I still want to be able to go 80 on the highway. I had a set of the Dunlop M2's before the 3D's and got over 40,000 miles out of them. I got them from the Tire Rack and they are listed number 1 for performance winter tires. I didn't go with the Dunlop M3's because the 3D's are replaceing them. On Tire Rack's website the M3's are listed number 2 for performance winter tires.

Back